Back-up Plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Back-up Plan

Basicly, stuff happens and you find your self in a pinch. For this reason, I tend to carry on my KLX a surivial kit. So if I find myself with a broken down KLX in the middle of nowhere in the woods, I will at least have some means of getting clean water (at least virus dead), shelter, and food. The kit is put together by two other surivial kits with some of my added extras. Like the BlastMatch for easier fires, and medi's. Inside the Wolfman bag is also a pint of water and Kawi's KLX tools. Orginally, I wanted to find a stainless steel liter bottle, this way I can boil the water I find. But couldn't find one, so I added safe water tablets.

Name:  09-20-10_1340.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  112.6 KB
Name:  09-20-10_1354.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  73.8 KB
Name:  09-20-10_1530.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  104.6 KB

I managed to get everything in the liter bottle, except the Greber multi-tool and my homemade firestarters (cotton ***** & vasoline).

So does anybody else carry a backup plan?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dude putting stuff in that bottle is genious! What a space saver. I try to take a couple of smaller first aid kits, and a swiss army knife, flashlight with extra batteries, and some extra fuses. That kit looks pretty good. That reminds me I need to get the home disaster kits going. They are telling us this but I always seem to put it off.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Dude putting stuff in that bottle is genious! What a space saver. I try to take a couple of smaller first aid kits, and a swiss army knife, flashlight with extra batteries, and some extra fuses. That kit looks pretty good. That reminds me I need to get the home disaster kits going. They are telling us this but I always seem to put it off.
There is already a small flashlight, battery, small multi-tool w/ knife, in the bottle kit. Extra fuses is something I did miss, good idea. Best thing about the Wolfman tool bag, it can deattach, so I can carry it along. Also, at any time, I carry a Maglite LED flash light and a Greber multi-tool with me. Habbits of an mechanic.

Another idea I just thought of, maybe I should include coffee filters. This way I can pre-filter nature's water before I chemical sanatize it or boil it.

I already have my tornado shelter disaster kit ready. Enough supplies to last 3 people for 3 day. And enough water for 5 days. Basicly it has MRE's, bottled water, first aid, blankets, money, flashlights, and a radio. It has some other goodies, but I forget what they were.

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 09-20-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

C'mon Learjet...when an accident occurs, just rub some dirt on it and keep truckin' on the KLX...LOL!

Man, that's a nice, comprehensive kit there. Hopefully I'm riding with you when disaster hits.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

We don't have to fuss with the water purification stuff out here in the desert...because water will not be found. Whenever someone asks me how much water to take on an off-road camping trip through, say, Death Valley, I have one answer: "As much as you can."

Good kit, though!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

That cordless phone won't work out in the bush

Old 09-21-2010, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Good thing about the fuses is there is a spare that comes encapsulated in rubber in the stock KLX fuse area (as I'm sure you already know). I don't know if this is the case on the '09 but it sure is for the '06-'07.

I think the best place to stash spare fuses is under the seat where the functioning fuses already are. There's plenty of space for them there and if one pops, you're gonna have to take the seat off anyway to replace it.

The only thing I could think of adding are a few alcohol wipes to sterilize any wounds you might get out in the bush if they're not already in your first-aid kit. It's alwasy easy to squeeze some of them in there.

M

Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

@Deez

I've been meaning to get a home diaster kit together as well. I've been looking at this site for some ideas http://www.2012supplies.com

I am no way affiliated with this site, nor do I buy into the 2012 hysteria, this site just gave me alot of ideas of what a family would need for an emergency. I'm more worried about a global economic collapse.

I've been stockpiling silver because I can't afford gold. Silver is up almost 20% this year and is out-pacing gold with returns. I've also managed to safely store an emergency gasoline ration of about 30 gallons. The KLX has always been part of my emergency plan. 30 gallons of gas can go a long way when my KLX gets 70mpg.

Anyway, don't mean to hi-jack the thread. Just some thoughts...

M

Old 09-21-2010, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Tweezers are always good to have in the desert. Sometimes, after a wrangle with a prickly thing, tweezers can be the difference between being able to move without severe pain (or, even being able to SEE!), or being virtually incapacitated!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
That cordless phone won't work out in the bush
red, it's surprising these days how many places out in the hinterlands of the U.S. you can get cell coverage. In Colorado, I frequently get a good cell signal from many, many places when you get to a high spot. They've put some cell towers on some fairly high peaks out west. It's become a bit of a game with me to test for a cell signal on high ground on a lot of my rides out west. But you're right about not wanting to rely on it to any degree.

Quick Reply: Back-up Plan