back to the shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: back to the shop

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i just really hope once he gets the parts and gets it all back together.... that the problem is fixed..... im hoping that he did find the problem.... if not... im gonna seriously ask for a new motor.... and i hope once i get it back that there is at least one day i can take it for a ride.... [>:][]
Hey I stopped at the bike shop on the way over to Seattle, and told them about your bike, they said nobody ever gets a new motor, Kawasaki will always rebuild any motor with any problem with all the parts in the world, but no replacement motors for warranty work, sorry man.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Well, I'm a little concerned about that gear. Clearly from my photo, that gear is split also. So I think there are a few possible conclusions to draw:

1) that's the way it is made and it's supposed to be that way even though the diagram only shows 1 gear

a) EMS's gear further seperated causing problems

b) EMS's gear is fine, and it is a red-herring and they haven't found the real problem yet

2) mine is split too and I need to take it to the shop

I find #2 to be highly unlikely. As best I can tell, my bike purrs like a kittten - no odd noises or anything. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of it from when I did my 300cc install in June, just this latest one. But it looks like two seperate pieces, not a single gear that has split, to me.

Any other ideas or thoughts on this?
I just checked the Service manual for information on the balancer gear (Pg. 8-10), and the gear is actually split in 2 halves, although according to the note, it is treated as a single unit (which is why it only has a single part number in the diagrams).

This is a common type of gear and is used to eliminate any backlash, or slack, between 2 shafts. In theory, when gears mesh properly and their shaft centerlines are spaced perfectly, there are no gaps between the meshing teeth, so the two shafts turn in unison. In reality, however, due to manufacturing tolerances, the gears are never spaced perfectly, so with gaps between the meshing teeth, the shafts can rotate slightly with respect to each other. (Even if the spacing started off perfectly, with wear, the gaps would soon show up.)

To deal with situations where its is not deserable to have any backlash, a special "anti-backlash" gear is used to take up this slack. The gear does this by being split vertically, and uses a spring force between the two halves to "grip" the meshing tooth on the other gear (i.e.: when the backlash gear is not meshed with another gear, the two halves are not aligned perfectly ... they might be off anywhere from 1/4 tooth or more. When it is installed, the two halves must be rotated back into alignment against the spring force in order to mesh with the other gear.)

The service manual note says that a 3mm dia. pin must be inserted across the 2 balancer gear halves before disengaging the mesh from the crankshaft gear. This pin locks the 2 halves of the backlash gear together and relieves the "grip" on the crankshaft gear. This means that there is a tremendous spring force between the 2 halves, so that indicates that although there's not a lot of force being tranferred through the gear (other than the inertia of the balancer), there is a lot of force within the gear itself.

So, Brian, your Conclusion #1b is correct ... sort of: it's supposed to be split, but it seems the gear itself is still the problem.

I hope this explaination was clear. I'll look for an image which should help as well.

Mike

Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

That's some mighty fine research there Mike [8D]

Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yes,... it is, thanks for the info... i guess one of those springs on mine was missing, but that throws up the question, was it just never there, or did it come off? and if it came off where did it go? and did it mess something else up?
ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

That's some mighty fine research there Mike [8D]