back to the shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: back to the shop

Thanks for sharing the news sullydirt - sad news though it was. However, based on the intake cam gear being missing, I don't see how that could be related to a fouled up compression release. I wonder if the screws just came out and the gear fell off??? I think that would be bad enough and certainly cause the bike the fail like you described. In that case, I doubt I would suspect too much else in the engine unless one of the screws fell down in there. When you take it to the dealer, make sure they account for every screw or bolt relating to the camshaft gear. If not, it might still be in the engine and I definitely would be worried about riding it if there's a loose screw floating around down in there just waiting to be picked up between two meshing gears - NOT GOOD!

But if everything is accounted for, I doubt there is any permanent damage. As soon as the intake cam is no longer turning, there's no fuel supply to keep the engine running so when it stopped, it probably saved itself from any further damage.

This is just my gut feeling - but I'm no mechanic. I'm sure this is something that would be covered by warranty so hopefully you won't be out of pocket on the repair. Please keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry Sully, that sucks. We feel your frustration, and hope you get it all worked out asap. Keep us informed, all of this information keeps all of us better informed and on our toes.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Thanks for sharing the news sullydirt - sad news though it was. However, based on the intake cam gear being missing, I don't see how that could be related to a fouled up compression release. I wonder if the screws just came out and the gear fell off??? I think that would be bad enough and certainly cause the bike the fail like you described. In that case, I doubt I would suspect too much else in the engine unless one of the screws fell down in there. When you take it to the dealer, make sure they account for every screw or bolt relating to the camshaft gear. If not, it might still be in the engine and I definitely would be worried about riding it if there's a loose screw floating around down in there just waiting to be picked up between two meshing gears - NOT GOOD!

But if everything is accounted for, I doubt there is any permanent damage. As soon as the intake cam is no longer turning, there's no fuel supply to keep the engine running so when it stopped, it probably saved itself from any further damage.

This is just my gut feeling - but I'm no mechanic. I'm sure this is something that would be covered by warranty so hopefully you won't be out of pocket on the repair. Please keep us posted.
Brian, I was wondering if the bolts worked loose as well. The threads that hold them look to be in good shape, if they had snapped, I'm sure the sheared bolts would still be in place. The exhaust cam shaft is very tight, that it why I question the KACR.

Hopefully, I can get the bike in today, and know what's going on by the end of the week.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I cringed on this read.
If the cam sprocket falls off, the crank is still turning right? Something similar if you throw a chain while in gear?
Wish ya well.

What is this talk EMS after sitting on the zx machines? "Strange Critters" ?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

good luck to both of you

cheers

Old 11-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Compared to what im used to riding, i have been on and off dirt bikes my whole life, and rode a few cruisers... those crotch rockets are just a whole different world... but i can see myself gettin one [sm=badbadbad.gif] it would satisfy my need for speed thats in my blood.... my dad used to race as well so its in me! (he used to drag race cars)
ORIGINAL: Dragone#19
What is this talk EMS after sitting on the zx machines? "Strange Critters" ?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

OK guys..... you ready for this...... i just called the shop, and he said that i have a split gear in the lower end of the motor/trans.... so he is wating for kawasaki to open at 12, he has to talk to them for some reason... so I was right there was still something wrong, a f'ing split gear!!!!!!!! So he is gonna call back after he talks to kawasaki....[:@][:@]

Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I smell a new motor. "Mmmmm I love the smell of a new motor in the morning" Ok maybe not, but keep us informed for sure. For sure? What am I a Valley Girl? LOL Remember them? Ok I gotta lay off the coffee.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 PM

How does that even happen? I say you start to to rumble about needing a free 300cc bore upgrade from Kawa to make you happy. This is getting ridiculous for you.

Keep us posted.

Chris

Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats the truth!!!!!! at least im not crazy and its just the normal noise of the motor, that there is actually something wrong. Last night i was sitting eating dinner thinking about my green machine, and said to my wife, " i HOPE they find something wrong"
[:@][:@]..... i just want to enjoy my new toy....
ORIGINAL: cwgoff
This is getting ridiculous for you.

Keep us posted.

Chris

Quick Reply: back to the shop