Back Fire screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Electrical by Lucas, Prince Of Darkness. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.
If it was Lucas electrics I think you mean the NIGHTS you thought would never end ... coz they sure as hell never got any brighter!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

why English drink warm beer- Lucas refrigerators

suggest with no screen make sure ALL the solvent in new filter oil is evaporated before running motor

another thought, the stock klx cam timing has little (none at 1mm) overlap so is less likely to flame back than a more modern fourstroke with bigger cam timing.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

It was the last mod I did and it made a significant difference. I'm not sure that it's raw airflow as much as it may have something to do with the way the air flows with the screen out and it's affect on the carb and slide action. I would do it again in a second.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

This mod has been on this forum, and others, as a free mod, for years. Many have done it. How many have you heard of blowing up?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I left the screen in for a while cause it wasn't easy to take it out and cut the screen. Didn't want to leave little metal bits floating around. Then while doing some other maintenance the filter frame came out and I cut the screen and sanded around the edges.

It definitely makes a difference cause I could feel it immediately.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I don't think you gain anything performance wise by removing the fire arrestor. However, not having one would be a problem at a OHV park and possibly fire roads patrolled by park rangers.
Why would you think that?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know what the rules are over there, but here if you're caught spitting sparks out your pipes in the bush you will have a most uncomfortable ride home in the back of the police vehicle with your bike firmly wedged between your butt cheeks.
Those screens are there for a reason.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I think some people reading this/commenting are confusing the two screens on the KLX . The spark arrestor is in the end of the muffler. It's meant to keep sparks from coming out and starting fires in the woods. The backfire screen is in the airbox just downstream from the air filter. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
Dan

Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
I don't know what the rules are over there, but here if you're caught spitting sparks out your pipes in the bush you will have a most uncomfortable ride home in the back of the police vehicle with your bike firmly wedged between your butt cheeks.
Those screens are there for a reason.
It sounds like he's talking about the spark arrestor in the exhaust, but I think he's referring to the backfire screen...Perhaps?

If he is actually referring to the backfire screen, forest or BLM rangers would not go that far into a vehicle inspection...though if you were caught with certain substances on your person, they might indeed look up your tailpipe...yes...your tailpipe...LOL!

Last edited by TNC; 02-22-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Going to remove mine when i fit my 300 kit.

Quick Reply: Back Fire screen