Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Cool, that 1st video is in my home province...gives me something to look forward to this year..not racing, but definately sounds like a great day trip with the video camera..I think I'll do some research and see how far away it is.
Yeah man, it's the dualsport club. The rides usually take place around the Halifax area, but there are alot down in the valley too where I live. Sometimes there are some out you're way. In september alot of them went up to cape breton and toured around. dualsport.ca

Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

wait a minute...you're from the valley? where abouts...I spent two years from jan 2004 to Jan 2006 down there...waterville, canning, new ross, kentville for some reason i thought you were from Alberta haha

Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

You can remove the studs with no damage to the tire....we do it on rig tires all the time.We also use a stud gun to intall them....If i were to do it myself...I would alternate the center ridge to side ridge pattern on the tire ***** with the studs from aerostich as they are the best ones out there.You can also get the same studes from other places if you poke around.
If i was running solid ice i'd stud the every **** of the tire but if i'm going in and out of ice i'd stud every third one for road traction.if not when you hit the carbides you'll go sliding.I did stud my kdx 250 tires back in the early 90's and she was a beast in the ice....hooked up and went like heck but i never touched blacktop.
The rig tires we stud them with a gun and then in the spring i use a screwdriver to pop them out so they can run the rest of the season (or most of it anyway) on the same tires.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw this set up on the adv site. Looks Tippy.

Name:  P1010039.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  78.4 KB

Old 12-18-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

^^ haha, whoah.. I think I'd be leaving that death trap in the garage, especially the bike it is. I might try it on something I didn't care much for.
ha, people are nuts.
ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

wait a minute...you're from the valley? where abouts...I spent two years from jan 2004 to Jan 2006 down there...waterville, canning, new ross, kentville for some reason i thought you were from Alberta haha
Haha, yeah. I remember you asking me about where I lived before because you seen my lisence plate on my bike in a pic.. Oh well. Yeah, I live inWindsor.
You're from Amherst ( I don't know if that is spelled right)way I think?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

New Glasgow actually, but did live in the valley for two years when i first got a job with michelin, so i am somewhat familiar with the towns down that way...always stopped at Tim Horton's by the Rawdon exit on my way to and from the valley on my week-ends off.

I also sent an e-mail to the NS DualSport club asking about the ice-racing, never got a reply yet, but notice4d you must be a forum member there as well, eh?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Rawdon exit? You must mean the Windsor exit.. The Timmies right by the McDonalds?
Anyway, yeah. There is a discussion going on now in there on the ice racing actually. Talking about when the ponds are going to be ready.
And yeah, I'm definetly a member. I wouldn't have a reason for a bike if it wasn't for that club. None of my buddies ride. Not many people at all really around this area... Lots of older quad guys and stuff. It's so easy to just go for a ride with them every weekend. And they don't ride on no groomed well beaten trails all of the time either... There is a gallery from almost every ride they go on. You might notice my KLX in a couple.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Pics are below. My spokes didn't show up today so I couldn't mount the tires but I figured I show some pics of the new meats and studs.

Here's a shot of the rear tire **** height. Measured its a full 11/16" tall. That is a 7/16" shank Pro Gold ice screw hanging in the middle. Offroad only ***** are MEATY!

Name:  KLX150Medium.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  58.1 KB

Stud in rear shoulder ****. Studs take a quarter inch nut driver to install, heads are 3/16" tall, compare the size of that, to the *****.

Name:  KLX151Medium.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  44.5 KB

Front tire with stud hanging in the middle. The front ***** are 9/16" tall.

Pic is kinda blurry as I didn't use the flash. I was trying to show the head profile of the screws. They have a standard hex head that is dished and slotted. The edges are literally sharp, not knife sharp but uncomfortable if you grab the tire and thats in your palm.

The carcass and sidewall on both tires are 3 ply and are rated up to 80mph, but are offroad only. Honestly I wouldn't want to take these on the pavement with the **** spacing they have. To connect trails is one thing but I wouldn't do a lengthy DS with them like I did the TM's or AC-10's.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Awsome! I thought about studdin up the bike.. But it's impractical, seeing as I have no transportation for the bike until about March. :-(

Old 12-19-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I meant the Tim's at that exit, I always went down through the Rawdon hills and then stopped there to get a coffee, it's the first windsor exit heading west, or the last heading east I believe (3 Windsor exits if i remember).

It's the same around here with the dual sports, there aren't many..even the amount of four wheelers has gone down since the insurance must-have rules, etc. I usually ride with one friend who hasa DRZ400, but a few guys I know have KLR650's, but they definately aren't as trail worthy as our little bikes, and who wants to ride dirt roads all the time..I can take the car and alarge triple tripleand do that.

Quick Reply: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?