Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

I don't see there being too much of a mental block issue on the ice. I won't have to keep the speed up and float, its more the lack of traction, which I'm pretty good with now after running street treads on all surfaces for the past few months. I had it out 2 weeks ago after our first snow storm. Had a helluva time getting out of the driveway but it was still fun! I figure the studded treads on the ice will have slightly better grip than my street tires on wet grass, and thats an absolute riot! BTW, what little sand I do hit around here, I've gotten over my crash-o-phobia, drop a gear or 2 and pin it. The AC-10 is too skinny for deep sand unless you are running 40+ though.

That second video of the kid on the KTM, he was running Kold Kutters, or at least something pretty darn close.

The guys I saw earlier this year at the ice races were keeping the bikes up pretty well, they weren't flying around the track either but I didn't see any of them go down.

Ice really doesn't bother me that much, the first thaw of the year I'd go out on my MTN bike and see how far I could get down the ice covered trails without landing on my ****, typically quite a ways but...not always

Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

We have a winter carnival every yr on the ice with the atv club and they have autoice races every sunday,no ice here yet but it's well on it's way.Nothing like hammering wide open across the lake or pond on a big bore atv The atv that seems to do the best on the ice is the brute force with the diff lock on, the ice drags are usually won by the old honda 250r and the yami banshee. You have to love the 2 smokes for quick get up and go. I had the chance to try a yami 4 stroke sled last yr on the ice and have to say that with the R-1 engine it's just a bad accident waitin to happen,they do sound cool going wide open though

Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The big bore quads really get up and go now! Not like the lumber 4x4's of the early 90's. I was out plowing with our Sportsman 500 last night and with 8 inches of powder in front of me it will easily pull 25 mph with the blade down and winging the snow back like a full size pickup. With the plow off it will bomb the trails just as fast as the KLX even though its 400 lbs heavier by dry weight. I was out on the trails 2 weeks ago, engage the AWD, hi range, and just run it WFO, its like an open cockpit rally car! Due to traction limitations the highest I got on the trail was a solid 45 mph, but that was turning all 4 tires, the Polaris models don't have a front diff setup, its weird. All 4 tires pull equally as soon as the rear tires slip, so there's no 3 wheel action.

Sorry, but its my post and I'll go OT if I wanna

Name:  KLX004Medium.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  133.2 KB

That woulda been Spring of 06, KLX isn't quite the same anymore.....but better!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

These look interesting:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-19555.html

Looks like they would stay in a lot better than regular screws and last a long time (carbide). I always thought the D606 would be a good tire to do that on with its fat ***** and it seems to be pretty hard rubber, too.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a polaris 500 and sold it for a cat 500i because all my buddies had them and have to say the polaris hit harder in every way when you nailed it. Don't get me wrong,I like the cat but the polaris had a much better ride,seat,power.The 4-whl aspects are basicly the same and haven't noticed any real difference,I had 26in mudlites on the polaris and have the 27in mudsharks on the cat and I'm sure the cat only goes as good as it does because of the tires I have.My cat is an auto just like the polaris was but nowhere near the hit

Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw the aerostitch ones on advrider but the cost deterred me. This is more of an experiment and I don't plan on riding on the pavement, trails and ice only. If I were to be riding on the street as a commuter in the snow I'd definitely take those ones.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's where I saw them too.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you following me?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You're following me ...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I suppose that's true, hard to keep up with a KTM....

Quick Reply: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?