any one use their Klx for wheelies and stunts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Klx768, Perhaps you missed MMMbeefy's racing thread ? - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-42989/

I saw the thread, liked it, but did miss it was him posting the comment.

Understand that came from my background from the late 60s and early 70s. He said "street racing", which I will usually associate with "the stop light gran prix" so well associated with the squids on 600s and cruiser riders who want everyone to "hear the thunder", no skill required. Plus the street racing with the muscle cars and the Z1s and H1/2s back then.

I was also poking a bit of fun at "tiddlers". They just aren't "street racing" world shakers by any definition of power. And I was being a tad tongue-in-cheek, anyone who thrashes a small bore would understand. I don't care how fast any 250 may be, about any punk on a clapped out 600 will stomp your butt! Heaven forbid you contemplate trying to out accelerate anything over 500cc.

Fun? Yes, by all means! I love the small bore more than anything because I can run it hard. Like my Zephyr 550, I can hammer four gears to redline and barely break the national speed limit. On my 250 with stock exhaust even the cops don't realize I'm all out from the traffic light. The visceral feeling is great, working to wring out the performance. Try that on a ZX14!

We always thought the two stroke 80cc motocross engine in the MB5 would be the trick. One guy we knew actually did it, grafted a CR80 frame cradle to his MB5 chassis. He said people were kind of shocked when he could wheelie past them at 60 mph!

If the comment was back road racing/supermoto, I'd definitely understand. It's amazing just how fast a dual sport/supermoto and a decent rider can go, how high they can keep momentum in cornering. I am selling off the street bike because the 650 dual sport is so much more fun and I'm going to 17s when I can afford it on the bike (have the rims, but about $200 in spokes needed). I'd set up the 250, but then I don't have the off road potential I want.

That was the fun of riding the 650 with the sport bike guys. When the going got tight it was perfect. I really think the 250SF would be a riot on some of the SE Ohio back roads (go on google maps and zoom in on the SE corner). I know some of the roads we hit on the BSA club durability run were fun, but I was on 20 lb air for the rougher stuff and could feel it.

I just wonder how MMMbeefy would fair against some sportbikes down there... I'm thinking there'd be some head shaking and shocked looks at the coffee/pie stop.

Last edited by klx678; 06-24-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
On a serious note, I will say if you capped the headlight hole, smoothing it out, the aerodynamics will clean up.

And ditch the front fender. Reminds me of experiments I did on a road bicycle. I used cardboard and duct tape to streamline my fork blades and frame tubes into a symmetric airfoil shape with 3:1 chord-thickness ratio.
Since I used to ride Skyline Drive many times I knew how fast I could coast the descents. After my cheap mods I gained 2-3 mph over unmodified tubes.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Drafting is amazing on a bicycle too. One hill I rode I could hit 45 mph on my speedo, when a friend and I drafted we hit 52 mph!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I should've said "Road Course Racing" instead of "Street Racing"... I posted a vid over on my thread just yesterday of me running with some bigger bikes. They clobber me in the straights obviously, but didn't get away much once it got into the curves.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post521798

The bodywork is still a work in progress, previous picture was from my debut and I barely had the Sumo wheels done a few days prior. For my second event I just took the whole headlight bezel off -
I'll have to see if I can get away with leaving it in but taping it up.

I'm looking at the UFO Sumo fender, but I can't find a good price on it in the fastest green color.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Also you should really let me do the driving too - I've never road raced, but I think I got it..

Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Also you should really let me do the driving too - I've never road raced, but I think I got it..
++++

looks like fun. I really want to do a track day sometime.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahh, I was kidding KLX678..

Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't. I'd love to get on a track for an afternoon. I have bigger stickers, should get an extra 16 hp!

Old 06-25-2015, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I saw 2 fair wheelies, but no stuntz.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
Well I saw 2 fair wheelies, but no stuntz.
Also some shirtless squid friends... Watching those videos just makes me cringe. One small thing goes wrong and someone's losing a lot of skin off their back at the least. Looks like OP at least wears helmet and clothes.

I'm still trying to get a hang of wheelies, but it's not a huge priority for me.

When I get 351 kit I'll probably be more interested in getting it down for practical purposes (trail riding, avoiding obstacles, etc).

Quick Reply: any one use their Klx for wheelies and stunts?