any exhaust gut experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Default any exhaust gut experts here?

Hello. make you can help me out with my KLX 250 stock muffler. I had to cut a hole into it to take out a piece that was loose and clanking inside like hell. closed it back again by welding. now I miss the noise it had before since the piece that I extracted was this (damper?) pierced pipe with a sleeve around it. so im considering opening it up again and welding the piece back in, since it is in good shape. only the attachment points rusted and that's whay it fell off.

My question is whether that piece goes attached to the pipe coming into the muffler from the engine side or wether it goes welded to the pipe coming out of it toward the tail opening. I'm attaching a picture of the part I don't know where to weld. I need to know in order to decide where Im cutting open the muffler to drop and weld it

THX!

this is the damper sleeve tat goes somewhere inside the muffler. where??

stock exhaust for reference

Last edited by wozzz; 06-06-2022 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 06-07-2022, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wozzz
Hello. make you can help me out with my KLX 250 stock muffler. I had to cut a hole into it to take out a piece that was loose and clanking inside like hell. closed it back again by welding. now I miss the noise it had before since the piece that I extracted was this (damper?) pierced pipe with a sleeve around it. so im considering opening it up again and welding the piece back in, since it is in good shape. only the attachment points rusted and that's whay it fell off.

My question is whether that piece goes attached to the pipe coming into the muffler from the engine side or wether it goes welded to the pipe coming out of it toward the tail opening. I'm attaching a picture of the part I don't know where to weld. I need to know in order to decide where Im cutting open the muffler to drop and weld it

THX!

this is the damper sleeve tat goes somewhere inside the muffler. where??

stock exhaust for reference
While I've done exhaust work, I've never cut open a stock muffler.
You could simply get another one. Here's one for $92 including shipping on ebay.
KLX250 muffler

Old 06-07-2022, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by tooter
While I've done exhaust work, I've never cut open a stock muffler.
You could simply get another one. Here's one for $92 including shipping on ebay.
KLX250 muffler
the problem is i’m in brazil and shipping that here has a ridiculous cost. But thanks for your answer!

Old 06-09-2022, 06:59 PM
Default Solved

So to reply to my own post for the record and for reference to future muffler gutters I finally opened up the muff. There is nothing in there xcept for two metal reinforcements. Tue baffle or whatever it is calles goes at the tip of the tube coming from the bike, where the muffler starts. Pics for ref

The baffle is on the left

Baffle welded in place

stichin’ it up

now the bike sounds the way I like it. powerful bul no loud high frequencies

Old 06-11-2022, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wozzz
So to reply to my own post for the record and for reference to future muffler gutters I finally opened up the muff. There is nothing in there xcept for two metal reinforcements. Tue baffle or whatever it is calles goes at the tip of the tube coming from the bike, where the muffler starts. Pics for ref

The baffle is on the left

Baffle welded in place

stichin’ it up

now the bike sounds the way I like it. powerful bul no loud high frequencies
Thanks for sharing such a useful piece of information!
I'm happy you resolved the problem.
I've never seen the insides of a stock KLS muffler before, and I'm pretty sure no one else has either.
Have you taken any pictures of the insides of the rear section?
If not, can you describe what is inside that section? How long is the tiny exit tube? Is it perforated?

Old 06-12-2022, 02:06 PM

the rear section is a closed unit, did not get inside but it has a horn like tube coming into it at the center, about same diameter as exhaust pipe. that leads to a finned twister, not sure if directly or via some kind of baffle there too and out through the rear. from the bach ally can see is the finned thing inside. the exit tube is not tiny. it is about same diameter of input tube on this particular model