Anti-backfire screen removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anti-backfire screen removal

Quite a few here have mentioned they removed the anti-backfire screen in the airbox. To those that have, how did you remove it -- it is molded into the plastic air filter holder? Looks like you could just cut around the edges with a utility knife but it would likely leave a messy edge of wire stubs.

Also, the stock air filter is already foam, any data on whether one of the aftermarket foam filters, such as the Uni, actually help flow in any measurable way?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrailCruiser
Looks like you could just cut around the edges with a utility knife but it would likely leave a messy edge of wire stubs.
Exactly then smooth out with a sander or grinder. Lots of good aftermarket air filters out there, I like the k&n with metal screen (for backfire) and lifetime warranty....but any brand is probably just as good and way better than stock.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut the screen then used a dremel with a sanding drum to smooth it out. I'm sure a fine round file would work it would just be a bit more tedious.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Did a read through some time ago. This is for an 07 with the KLX300R high flow airboot, but you'll get the idea.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ckfire+screeen

Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

stuff a rag or something similar in the air boot so that none of the filings get into the carb and then clean out the air box really good when your done sanding.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Exactly then smooth out with a sander or grinder. Lots of good aftermarket air filters out there, I like the k&n with metal screen (for backfire) and lifetime warranty....but any brand is probably just as good and way better than stock.
How is it better than stock? I'm running the stock and 3 years later all is good

Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
How is it better than stock? I'm running the stock and 3 years later all is good
Well I haven't done a scientific analysis on it but I bet my k&n has less resistance (pressure drop) across the filter surface than the stock setup......more air flow = good.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
stuff a rag or something similar in the air boot so that none of the filings get into the carb and then clean out the air box really good when your done sanding.

Why do it on the bike? The screen is removable. I had it in and out several times. One of the nuts isn't the easiest to get to, but if I can do it with only one fully functional hand, anybody can.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

whats the point of this mod?

I'm assuming its for better air flow. but its got to be hardly noticeable, if at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SPKGO
whats the point of this mod?

I'm assuming its for better air flow. but its got to be hardly noticeable, if at all.

There's no before/after dyno data, so it's anybody's best guess.

Quick Reply: Anti-backfire screen removal