Another sprocket & Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Is it legal to ride a Husky while wearing Kawasaki pants?
LOL!...yeah, the reason I'm going so fast in that pic is because the fashion police are right behind me in hot pursuit.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know much about the Maico or the old dirt bikes. I remember the older boy across the street from me in the early 70's had a Bull Taco that made a lot of noise used to kick his butt quite regularly.

I'm reading Monkey Butt by Rick Sieman (aka Super Hunky), an early editor of Dirt Bike. Great book. He put a lot of time in on Maicos and I just noticed that clean looking one on CL. Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com

Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I don't know much about the Maico or the old dirt bikes. I remember the older boy across the street from me in the early 70's had a Bull Taco that made a lot of noise used to kick his butt quite regularly.

I'm reading Monkey Butt by Rick Sieman (aka Super Hunky), an early editor of Dirt Bike. Great book. He put a lot of time in on Maicos and I just noticed that clean looking one on CL. Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com
Scott, it was a fun era of dirt biking in the 70's. And really until about '79 or so, just about every "trail" specific bike of quality was European. Huskies were killing it in the desert and enduros and not even doing too bad in MX, where the Japanese were making better inroads. In '78-'79 when Kawasaki introduced the KDX175, the KLX250, and Suzuki and Yamaha had the IT and PE series bikes, it signaled the beginning of the end for any hope of European dominance...at least until KTM came along.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow this thread got jacked. LOL

Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
We have a bad habit of that around here, don't we? Maybe the moderator should be notified to keep us in line .

Originally Posted by TNC
Scott, it was a fun era of dirt biking in the 70's. And really until about '79 or so, just about every "trail" specific bike of quality was European. Huskies were killing it in the desert and enduros and not even doing too bad in MX, where the Japanese were making better inroads. In '78-'79 when Kawasaki introduced the KDX175, the KLX250, and Suzuki and Yamaha had the IT and PE series bikes, it signaled the beginning of the end for any hope of European dominance...at least until KTM came along.
In '79 I was 12 years old. Unfortunately, my family wasn't into riding so a Huffy was as close as I got to riding dirt bikes. My buddy across the street rode a Honda 100, and dang was I envious. A recent read talked about the demise of most European bike manufacturers. There were SO many of them and their dealerships were often few, scattered and disorganized. Just too many choices and the small ones fell by the side as the big Japanese manufacturers moved in.

The digression continues...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by phil77
Thank you for all of your guys help.
You're welcome. We try to help around here, but often digress and a good thread like yours gets jacked.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
True, but at least we waited until it seemed clear that the OP was satisfied with the responses to his questions. We're not that cold hearted, deej.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Super Hunky is a great writer on all things motorcycling, very funny and insightful. He loves KDX200's as well so he must be a good bloke.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Check his comments. No clutch. Didn't even rev to 5K. Just body position changes (push front down then weight back), throttle, and no mods except for removing the spark arrestor. Not the best show of wheelies on the KLX (I'll give that to Malves!!), but it goes to show that technique is key when you don't have torque! And that us Idaho boys like to pull wheelies right in our neighborhood in front of the cops.
LOL...Thanks, man. I wouldn´t call it a show. It´s just play time. But, I am flattered.