Another sprocket & Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Default Another sprocket & Chain?

Ok before I get yelled at I did use the search function but I am more confused now then before. I am new to this dual sport riding and there are so many opnins out there. I have a 09 KLX250S, the current setup I have is 14T front and 48 rear. I am more then happy with the top end speed can do 70 with no problem. However I do not seem to have low end torque, I cant get the front wheel off the ground. I need a new chain so I've been told with a new chain comes new sprockets. SO what would you guys recommend for chain and sprocket combo to get me good torque and highway speed?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Personally i like the 13/45 combo. Gave me plenty of woods capability and enough on the road to do 50-55 consistently. I stay off highways. The definition of dual sport might as well be compromise. Want better low end? gonna loose top end. Want better tires for dirt, really increase wear on the asphalt. Its all what your use for the bike is... My KLR is the multi tool bike fore me. I do everything with it. The klx is my single track dirt only bike. So im leaning way towards dirt bike than dual sport with mine.

Sunday: Rode KLR 100 miles to the allegheny national forest then bought passes and rode the ATV trails.
Name:  035.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  038.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  157.3 KB

Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

42/14=3
48/14=3.43
((3.43/3)-1)100=14.333% increase in your rpm

so...8,003 rpm at 65 mph for you already.... you can drop down to a 13t front without getting another chain....but, that is super aggressive...

48/13=3.692
((3.692/3)-1)100=23.067% increase in your rpm

so...8,615 rpm at 65 mph for you if you do 13/48...no way you'll be able to keep up on the highway without blowing the motor....i'm surprised the 14/48 isn't enough torque for you already....have you done any jetting or modifications?....

Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You may need to expand on what your current setup is on your bike as far as any mods go. I'm assuming bone stock, and if that's the case, difficulty in popping an "easy" wheelie is a little challenging without proper body english and such. It's been beaten to death here about how easy it is to pop a wheelie on just about anything including a lawn tractor if you do it right...OK, that's an exaggeration...but in truth the stock KLX doesn't produce barn-burning throttle response. And some of it is due to emission/noise requirements along with the design of the stock CV carb.

On your gearing I was running a 14/47 setup on my '06 KLX with a 300 cylinder, all airbox mods, and full Muzzy exhaust. I have a Vapor instrument panel with a calibrated speedometer. Running 70mph was achievable but not pleasant and maybe not so great on the motor for long periods in my estimation. I'm thinking your factory speedo may be a little optimistic, but maybe you've checked it with a true GPS reading. Going to a 13T front sprocket will also make pulling a wheelie easier, but highway speed and rpm will not be good...too high IMO for 70mph.

If you want easier wheelie popping, you've got to uncork the intake and exhaust and probably use a DJ kit which has a much better needle profile for throttle response. A pumper carb also produces a surprising amount of throttle response right off idle to make a wheelie easier.

I've begun to think that something like IDRIDR's setup of using a chain length that puts the adjusters in the middle of the range with a 14T front sprocket is the best setup. You use something like a 45T or 47T rear sprocket and drop in a 13T front sprocket for real off road use or a 15T for easier highway cruising. There is no free lunch if you want to run just one setup. The bike just doesn't have the latitude in power and tranny gearing to achieve perfect performance for all uses IMO. Rear tire size selection also can screw with your gearing to a point that helps or hurt what you're trying to achieve for your riding application.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ahnh666
42/14=3
48/14=3.43
((3.43/3)-1)100=14.333% increase in your rpm

so...8,003 rpm at 65 mph for you already.... you can drop down to a 13t front without getting another chain....but, that is super aggressive...

48/13=3.692
((3.692/3)-1)100=23.067% increase in your rpm

so...8,615 rpm at 65 mph for you if you do 13/48...no way you'll be able to keep up on the highway without blowing the motor....i'm surprised the 14/48 isn't enough torque for you already....have you done any jetting or modifications?....
There are no engine mods. I bought it from someone else and the only thing he did was the sprockets. However he didnt tell me he changed the rear also.

As far as torque maybe its my inability to get the front wheel off the ground due to lack of experience. I seem to be able to ride on the road at 65-70mph with no prob i think im at 7500 rpms.

Maybe Ill try 13/46 or 47..what size chain would i need. I've already been told get an X or O ring type.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

First, welcome to the forum.

IMO, go cheap and put a 13T on the front with your 48 rear and current chain, assuming it's still in good condition, and see what it does. You should be able to get a 13T for around $15 to $20. This is also assuming that you aren't at the end of the adjustment point for your chain. It's a cheap thing to try an you'll get a better feel for it, practice those wheelies for a while with more torque, then maybe decide where to go from there. I kinda doubt that one tooth on the rear is going to give you a noticeable difference unless you are very sensitive to those things and/or doing a lot of high-rpm highway burning.

I've run 14/42 and 13/42 with a stock bike, then modded the airbox/carb/exhaust and ran a 49 rear with 13/14/15 front. This was a setup I really liked for the riding I do on this bike, which doesn't include much highway time. Now have a 45 on the rear with the 351 kit, but still bump the front between 13 and 15 depending on if I'm riding gnarly trails or just dual sporting around on the easier stuff. The 14 rarely gets used, but its there if I need it.

I can get the heavy-a$$ KLR to wheelie up and it's geared just a little lower than stock with no power mods. Practice and technique.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX is not a wheelie machine, if you want that you should get an OSSA.

If you want a wheelie, just take it up to about 6000 rpm and drop the clutch, should lift the wheel off. But is that really fun?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
The KLX is not a wheelie machine, if you want that you should get an OSSA.

If you want a wheelie, just take it up to about 6000 rpm and drop the clutch, should lift the wheel off. But is that really fun?
Darren, you're showing your age. No one below 60 is going to know what an Ossa is...LOL! I disagree with your assessment about dropping the clutch at 6 grand not being fun. The video of the loopout will be way funny.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Check out the Idaho boy, ATGATT no less

Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Blah!...Scott, the guy was only revving to 5 grand, hence, no loopout.

Quick Reply: Another sprocket & Chain?