Another Boring Utah Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The KLX is a DS but I'm afraid I stretched the meaning a bit. I rode 2400 miles in 5 days on the slab. Only good thing is my seat finally has a contour of my ***. OW! I did save on gas though, 40+ gallons of gas as opposed to the cars 90+ gallons for the same trip.
That being said comfort is king! Therefore, my wagon is getting a trailer (lots of cheap enclosed trailers around to convert into a bike hauler/work shop) so I can do my own version of TNC's candy *** camping. I'm done roughing it(carrying all the crap on the bike) if I don't have to, especially dirt riding. I like the base camp idea for anything more than a long weekend. Putting a spare battery in my car to run an electric cooler. Might even get a roof top tent. I used to do a lot of whitewater boating and we always base camped out of our vehicles, mostly because the remote locations of the rivers made it necessary. Fires at night, one pot meals, and the stars in the middle of nowhere after a good day can't be beat! Well the food can be beat, but that's not hard.
Money spent on gas getting there can be offset by camping out. Some people go on vacation to Disney or go on a cruise, I spend that same money to get to places like TNC has shown. Just my personal preference. To quote a Dwight Yoakam song,"A thousand miles from nowhere, and time don't matter to me"...those are the places I seek. Places like in TNC's pics.

TNC - I have taken notes on the trails you rode, thanks for including that. Now to order some maps (the paper kind) and start some trip planning.

Sorry for the hijack, this ride report just stoked my vacation fire, something serious. I must be a desert rat at heart, I just love it out there. I keep looking at those pics...must go back.
LOL!...well, that's what ride reports are supposed to do. Seeing how others set up their bikes and camping/traveling gear is helpful. I've gotten lots of ideas from many others over the years to refine my setup. Camping in crowded campgrounds and dealing with being rounded up into controlled areas to supposedly enjoy the outdoors is the dumbest idea ever IMO. Being self-sufficient is absolutely satisfying in the freedom it gives you.

You mentioned about having a battery powered cooler. I tell ya, these modern, super-insulated, ice chests they have now days are unbelievably efficient. With block ice, I was able to go for 5 days without any resupply. I eat good in camp, sleep sound and secure in the van, and have learned tons of little tricks about equipment and what to bring to make it very enjoyable. Camping in remote areas without a bunch of neighbors...unless they're by choice...is great. I can even crank up the music on some evenings without disturbing anyone else...LOL!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
...You mentioned about having a battery powered cooler. I tell ya, these modern, super-insulated, ice chests they have now days are unbelievably efficient. With block ice, I was able to go for 5 days without any resupply...
I recently purchased a 12pk polar bear cooler for bike trips. Not as good as yours but It keeps ice for 24hrs.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
First of all Whatever!!!! "another boring Utah ride" So sorry you had to put up with that.
Secondly, the first line is "Dan888 didn't want to go" ?? (That's all the farther I read so far) I would love to go, but $500+ just in gas money keeps me out of the deal until I find a buddy to ride out with and share the expense. One of these days I might surprise you. hahahaqhah
OK now I will read what you wrote.
I'd be willing to meet you half way somewheres between IL and TN and head that way. Do I smell a KLX rally in Utah? Think of all the jackassery that would be involved...

Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
I'd be willing to meet you half way somewheres between IL and TN and head that way. Do I smell a KLX rally in Utah? Think of all the jackassery that would be involved...
Jackassery?...no, no...these get-togethers are strictly a gentleman's outing with only refined behavior of the highest order. Only Grey Poupon is served with all meals.

Attached Thumbnails Another Boring Utah Trip-picture-0024.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Jackassery?...no, no...these get-togethers are strictly a gentleman's outing with only refined behavior of the highest order. Only Grey Poupon is served with all meals.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Love the Grey Poupon comment, that's a classic. Great report!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You must expect to catch some serious air, having to strap a parachute to the rear rack.

Glad you had a great, safe trip.

Ron

Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Way to get out there and see some new scenery Thad. And this has to be the longest ride report out of you yet. Must have really made an impression.

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Scott, as cool as Moab is, there may actually be better riding and camping in other places in SE Utah...and without the crowds. You Idaho guys would like sampling some of these other parts of Utah...and goes good with PBR.

Ron, you're darned right I carry a parachute. Check this thread where the guy sure could have used a chute.

Dirt biker plunges off high cliff - ADVrider

Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
That might work. We could mess up TNC's solitude for a few days , and use him as a guide. AND a cook!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
That might work. We could mess up TNC's solitude for a few days , and use him as a guide. AND a cook!
Solitute...it's overrated.

Quick Reply: Another Boring Utah Trip