Another Awesome Vendor - Moto-Pro Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another Awesome Vendor - Moto-Pro Suspension

I know that I for one would greatly appreciate a good write-up w/photos on servicing the suspension, changing out the oil and all that entails.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
Most of us need to do the suspension.
Yeah like me lol [8D]

Old 11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Well I just got off the phone with John at Moto-Pro Suspension. I've just decided to finally upgrade the suspension in the bike as I do weigh a bit more than the 150 pounds that the bike is built for.

I had read about scat's search and how he found Moto-Pro and that there is a difference in the length of the springs between the S and other model springs. I felt that the proprietor, John, actually cared about making the suspension right instead of just making the sale.

How right I was. I called John today and ordered a set of springs, fore and aft. He asked me for my phone and told me that once he gets the rear spring to go with the fronts that he has in stock, he'll call me and get a credit card number.

He must be either old fashioned or just plain honest. In today's internet marketplace there are just so many folks that will send you something that might not be right, or charge you for what they have to order, that I am always happy fo find someone that believes in doing business the right way.

Thanks John! I appreciate you and what you have done.

Marty, you'll be happy with the new springs. I'm about 240 lbs and got a shock spring and front springs from Moto-Pro. I also got Moto-Pro's Ultra Max valves for the shocks. All I can say is I love the suspension on this bike now. Prior to taking it to John, I wasn't really enjoying the ride on anything bumpy. Way too soft. It felt like I was riding a two wheeled boat. I had adjusted the rear spring to stiffen it up and clicked the front adjusteres all the way down and it was still too soft. Scat and I are about the same size/ I rode Scat's bike for about 5 minutes and knew I needed springs after that. I'm not sure how much difference the valves make, but I do know I love my front end now, and I'm only 2 clicks out rather than all 16. I have no idea how to put the springs in the tubes. John did that for me. One of the advantages of being less than 10 miles from his place.

Duane

Old 11-28-2006, 03:55 PM

duvallgold,

Thank you very much for your endorsement! It only makes me feel that much better about John and Moto-Pro Suspension. He seems like a very knowledgable person, he also listens, takes input and will comment on it. Kind of like talking to the family doctor - if you have a good one.

I know that suspension upgrades have made a huge improvement in my KLRs, Concours and ZRX. I'm just imagining that the difference in the KLX will be even more noticible. Heck, I'll even bet that I won't miss the "rocking horse" that the KLX is when riding on the road. As you roll on the throttle, it sits down in back and when you apply the brakes, it goes down in front. Actually, I like riding the KLX250 we have at our training facility. It is factory stock, so you really have to be smooth on the controls when doing demos for the exercises. Once the suspension is changed, I'm sure the bike will be a whole lot more enjoyable off road.

To that end, I have also ordered some more agressive tires, heavy duty tubes and rim locks. I'm intending to be running about 14 pounds of air in the bike for riding in the sand. I'm thinking that will make the bike work pretty good and the Mikuni TM33 should help me get the front up on top of the sand.

All I know is that it will be fun experimenting!

On the suspension article - I took a look at the shop manual last night. Looks very similar to changing the springs on the KLRs. Should be pretty straight forward. The rear spring however is much easier to change than that on the KLRs. I've already had the spring off on the KLX and it is a simple task, no special tools required. So, once the parts come in, I'll charge the camera up and start the process. I will be changing the fork oil, setting the fork oil height and installing new fork springs and a new shock spring. Hope this is what y'all are looking for!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

What would i be looking at ($) for a set of new springs? i weight about 220....

Old 11-28-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

do you know what the springs/valves are going to cost you yet (part number?)? im def in need of gettin a suspension upgrade after a seriously hard bottoming out i put on it off of a large hill (thought i cracked the damn bike in half).

Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM

EMS,

They don't charge by the pound - fortunately!

I'm thinking around $225 shipped to my door for the fork springs and upgraded shock spring.

I'll let you know more exact figures once he gets ready to ship the parts. At this time he had to order the shock spring as it was out of stock.

John told me he is going to start stocking all the combinations for the KLX250. So you should be able to call and have the parts shipped the same day.

BTW, he is the only one that has the KLX250S listed on his website. There is a difference in length between the KLX300R and KLX250S fork springs. The shock spring is identical. Just thought y'all would like to know that.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

COOL.. thats not too bad.... might have to put springs on my list.....

Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The front and rear springs were well worth the investment and John at motopro was great to deal with.
Good luck on your install Marty looking forward to your write up.