Almost crashed today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Too low of a gear would do that.
Like push starting the bike, the higher the gear you're in, the easier it is to push the bike while it is in gear with the clutch out.
So I assume when he changed gears, he downshifted?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you made it ok. My dealer filled my tank to the brim. I almost couldn't get any stabilizer in it because it was so full.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Gongrats on the bike and the recovery...I have done my fair share of falling, lucky for me they have all been less than 15 mph. Unless you count the time I was 11 and tried going off a jump in 3rd on a Honda CR80 (I think it was an 80) way too inexperienced with way too much speed = way too much air and a cracked helmet. Long story short I still have the bump on my head 16 yrs later.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You got lucky. Good thing the bike didn't throw you off when recovering. In MSF, they tell you that once you lock the rear wheel, keep it locked and control the skid to a stop.

As for hurting anything, nope. Just fill it up again and conutine enjoying your new ride.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
Yeah, really. 5 bucks worth of fuel and they can't give you that when your putting a few grand into their bank account...
Just curious if you remember what gear your bike was in when the tire locked up?
I think i was down shifting into 4th.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
Too low of a gear would do that.
Like push starting the bike, the higher the gear you're in, the easier it is to push the bike while it is in gear with the clutch out.
So I assume when he changed gears, he downshifted?
Wow ur good, yes i was downshifting.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about "almost crashed" but here's a DID crash! Had a bee fly into my helmet and sting me on the nose, let the pain of it distract me - result: entered a right hander on a gravel road all out of line and binned it! poor little KLX now has a few war wounds on the rear panel LOL! Nice slide marks tho! And I have a severely sprained thumb on my left hand that is so bad I can't even squeeze a tube of toothpaste - DOH! So no KLXing for me for a while. It was lucky actually cos alot of that gravel road had an immediate 200ft dropoff alongside it!

Moral of the story - "keep ya visor down stupid!"

Attached Thumbnails Almost crashed today!-sutherlandshut210209d.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paladin
I don't know about "almost crashed" but here's a DID crash! Had a bee fly into my helmet and sting me on the nose, let the pain of it distract me - result: entered a right hander on a gravel road all out of line and binned it! poor little KLX now has a few war wounds on the rear panel LOL! Nice slide marks tho! And I have a severely sprained thumb on my left hand that is so bad I can't even squeeze a tube of toothpaste - DOH! So no KLXing for me for a while. It was lucky actually cos alot of that gravel road had an immediate 200ft dropoff alongside it!

Moral of the story - "keep ya visor down stupid!"
Crazy, i would crash too is a bee got stuck in my helmet, i almost crashed my car when a spider crawled down my shirt and started biting me. Don't u just hate insects haha.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking better moral

Originally Posted by Paladin

Moral of the story - bikes get tired and need naps every now and then
I fixed it for ya!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes! Beware of the downshift. The lower the gear, The more chance of locking up the rear tire. But it's better than over-revving the engine. I like to coast with the clutch in when stopping and downshift to first. But never let the clutch back out if you're going too fast for the gear you're in. In heavy traffic, I count to myself as I downshift with the clutch in, 5,4,3,2,1 as I click the shifter. If I see traffic is picking back up, then I know what gear I'm in and adjust accordingly. These Klx's have high engine compression so a lock-up is always possible in the lower gears. You'd have to be going about 55 to get a lock-up in 3'rd gear I'd bet.

Quick Reply: Almost crashed today!