Almost crashed today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Almost crashed today!

Hey guys,

I just picked up my new 09 klx250 yesterday, its my first bike and i have only just got my license, so i am a very inexperienced rider. I was under the impression that the dealer filled the tank full.

I had only rode 50ks so far so i assumed i was good for a lot more. As i was climbing a large hill the bike spluttered a little bit, i wasn't event thinking that it could be the fuel.

While traveling down the hill at about 65kmh i pulled the clutch in to change gears. As i pulled it in the engine stopped and as i released it, the back wheel totally locked up. The back tyre swung out to the side and almost hit the curb, luckily i was thinking straight and pulled the clutch in and corrected myself.

Anyway i put the bike on reserve and rode to the fuel station. Stupid dealer only filled my tank up 1/3 full, lol. Do u think i have done any sort of damage to my bike from this. The bike seems to be running fine afterwards.

I would appreciate any harsh advice on riding, because i am such a noob rider.

Thanks, 8cuttlefish8.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

No, your bike is fine. Glad to hear you were able to recover!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you were ok. My advice would be get some training. MSF has courses all over the country, including dirtbike school. http://www.msf-usa.org/ Enjoy the ride!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

The dealer never fills the tank you were lucky to get 1/3 of a tank

Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Hee, Hee that's how I ride on a good day, your bikes fine.Whats that saying? if you havn't crashed or fallen off yet consider yourself on the way down. The rider course is a good idea it will probably lower you insurance rate a bit also,have fun.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad you didn't crash. It was a good experience to show how fast you can eat shi* when everything seems to be going good. Make sure to wear as much protective gear as you can tolerate.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice recovery! Thank god you didn't crash. My first crash when I was starting, was into the back of my truck. I hurt three things in one go, me, my bike and my truck. Armor was quickly purchased after heh.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

My first crash was 40 miles in, I was turning around and didn't give it enough clutch, stalled it, fell over. Snapped the end off the clutch lever the day I brought the bike home I, too, bought my '09 as a complete noob-tard. I had learned the basics on my buddy's Ninja250 but the KLX was my first bike and the first bike I logged miles on.

As for gas: What kinda cheapscape dealers do you folks deal with? Mine filled me all the way up! Matter of fact, he made sure it was topped off before we took off.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, really. 5 bucks worth of fuel and they can't give you that when your putting a few grand into their bank account...
Just curious if you remember what gear your bike was in when the tire locked up?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the tire shouldn't have locked up with you rolling down hill, the motor should have kept spinning over, even if it wasn't firing. Maybe you weren't in the correct gear? Too big of a gear for your speed maybe.

Quick Reply: Almost crashed today!