All KLX Owners Friendly???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:03 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default All KLX Owners Friendly???

OK, mostly this is a joke, but I ran into an interesting situation on my recent trip doing some backcountry 2-track riding in AZ and NM. I was gone nearly 3 weeks in my toy hauler camping and riding in the forests and deserts with my well modded KLX.

I was camped in a little BLM camping area just outside of Datil, NM for 4 nights and did a bunch of riding in the area...some really neat riding BTW with some of it being fairly heavily eroded and rocky.

Anyway, one evening a guy pulled in with one of those A-Liner foldup campers being pulled by a white, late model, short bed, single cab Ram pickup. In the back of the PU is an '06 or '07 KLX with an Acerbis tank. My pickup is a white, late model, short bed, single cab Ram pickup but with a white ARE camper shell. I also have an '06 KLX with an Acerbis tank. I yelled at the guy, "Hey, where did you get that junky bike?"

When the guy had backed into his camp spot and was messing with opening his camper up, I tried to introduce myself as the guy who yelled and that I had an almost identical PU and bike. He hardly even made eye contact and only commented, "yeah, but is it a short bed, single cab?" We exchanged a few more words, but it was clear the guy wasn't interested in talking and even indicated he wasn't doing any riding in the area. OK...have a nice evening.

The camp host, an older couple who have their RV at the stop sign you're supposed to stop at before entering the campground for the first time with your rig kind of admonished the guy for just driving on by while his wife was trying to get him to stop. His comment was that he'd been there before and knew what he was doing.

Now...I'm not the president/ambassador of the KLX Goodwill Club of America by any means, and there's no requirement to talk with or visit with any other motorcycle rider if you don't want to. I just thought it odd that if you run into someone with an almost identical truck and identical bike that it usually garners a little interaction out in the hinterlands of New Mexico.

The bike was shocking clean, and I don't think I could see a scratch on it...odd for an '06/'07...unless it was a later KLX that he was able to install the tank on.

So...any of you guys here want to admit to being the sourpuss I encountered at this campground?...LOL!

Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

As an advid pedal biker, I can definitively say it has something to do with the .... white pickup!~

Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

some people are douchebags

Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I don't own a white pickup nor a camper and my klx is a 2012 but if it had been me I would have talked your ear off and if you'd had the time maybe checked out some of the trails next day. Like Will Rogers said I've never meet a fella I didn't like.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have suspected something was up, cause there wasn't any dirt on his dirt bike, just say'in!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

get off my lawn!

Old 09-23-2018, 08:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Now IDRIDR, until I ran into this guy, you and your group that I rode with in Moab were the most unfriendly, inhospitable motorcycle people I'd ever encountered. You are in second place now. However, after rethinking that, maybe Durielk is in competition for second place.

LOL!...well...y'all know better than that. But seriously, like I said, I'm pretty much kidding about the whole episode. The guy may have had all kinds of unknown issues occurring, and there's no telling what was going on. I did find it very unique to see such a "clone'ish" comparison of truck and motorcycle out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it was one of those Startrek episode scenarios where you stumble into an alternate universe...LOL!

Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty F'''ed up!
When I see someone else pull into a campground with any small bore dual sport it's an invitation for me to go talk to them.
Weird reaction for sure!

Old 09-23-2018, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking Durielk might be a lotta fun - But I'm a sucker for grumpy dry humor & sarcasm..

Last edited by Klxster; 09-24-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:24 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I'm thinking Durielk might be a lotta fun - But I'm a sucker for grumpy dry humor & sarcasm..

I once bought a talking Parrot - he never said "I'm hungry" - so he died..
LOL!...yeah, the first time I met Durielk, he struck me like the old high school chemistry teacher guy, and I thought..."can this guy ride?" Well, there was no doubt...he could ride for sure...LOL!

Quick Reply: All KLX Owners Friendly???