Adventures 351.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
It was a starrett vernier caliper I think a 799a was the model number
Believe it or not, you really have to use a decent micrometer to accurately read these shims. The caliper is usually good enough to tell what size you're looking at when the number has been eroded, but that's about it. When I worked at a shop, you would occasional see as much as a one-thousandth variance with new shims. It does point out another reason to keep valves on the loose end.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I went down to my local shop with my measurements and shim sizes. The mechanic there looked at my numbers, he grabbed a calculator and punched in this equation,,,
shim size + measurement - upper spec limit = shim to put in.
I ended up with with a couple of 2.95s and a 300 and he said to use the 303 that was in my exhaust and stick it in the intake. He said he alway tries to go to the loose end of the spec and that a thou over spec is no big deal.
When I got home I measured the new shims and they were spot on so I am thinking that the calipers were accurate with my first measurements. I put everything back together and the measurement are right at the upper limit of spec. That makes me happy….
Now I will stuff in my new cam chain tensioner and stick it all together. Then I am going to re jet the carb. I still need to finish installing the vapor temp sensor into the radiator, change out the fork oil, check the front wheel bearings, install the new clutch, change the oil and filter, stick on some new skins and flash this **** up. Thanks for all your comments and interest.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I want 351! However there is only phone number on new BB webpage. What is his e-mail?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Now look here, red. Those plastic vernier calipers from Harbor Freight with Mickey's hands showing the measurement are just not going to get it...LOL!

Hey, on that Vapor temp guage sensor, you're gonna love that piece of data in your readout. That thing really works, and it shows what's really going on with the cooling system. The temp and the trip mileage are my two most important pieces of info. I love that Vapor unit.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

It is a mini mouse vernier caliper...
I am looking forward to getting the bike running to see how it goes when the timing is right. That may be why it seemed really rich as well.
I installed the temp sensor where the temp warning light switch was. A friend turned an adapter in brass on his lathe. I still have some carb work to do. I bought the KLX needle jet holder and I am going to lean it out some. What do you run for jetting when riding at an average of around 5000 ft rising to around 11k.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

red, I don't change my jetting even when I go to over 13,000 feet in CO, and I never did on any of my 4 KLR600/650's either. I find these CV carbs to be very forgiving as far as altitude is concerned. My home altitude is about 1700 feet. Up in CO I don't get any rich chugging until something approaching 13K...like Imogene Pass. Frankly I've been surprised that these CV carb bikes run so well altitude. Occasionally I've been with some cable pull slide carb riders, and often you can see noticeable, black, fuel rich smoke even at 10K and above. My jetting is DJ needle in 3rd clip from top, 128 DJ main jet, 35 pilot, with drilled slide, open airbox, and foam filter.

red, I wasn't clear on where you're putting your coolant temp sensor. Is something like this?

Attached Thumbnails Adventures 351.0-vapor-water-temp.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Thad,
My bike is jetted for sea level, and I was pretty stoked when I was in montana the last time that the bike ran very well up around 8k. I would like to lean it up a bit anyway so maybe that will do the trick for the 11k I am expecting in Idaho this summer. I think I will go back to the stock pilot
On the temp sensor, I unscrewed the sensor from the plastic housing. It has I think 1/8th pipe thread. A buddy of mine turned an adapter so that I could remove the hi temp warning switch on the left hand radiator and replace it with the temp sensor. The rad hose on my bike is shorter and has an elbow in it and does not lend itself well to the stock vapor housing. I will take a picture of it later on.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexgg
I want 351! However there is only phone number on new BB webpage. What is his e-mail?
His e-mail address is on the very bottom of the page. Right hand corner. Can't miss it.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
His e-mail address is on the very bottom of the page. Right hand corner. Can't miss it.
Just pick up the phone and give Bill a call. He's a good fella!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Update

I suppose an update is due...

The boys and I went out to the desert Sunday. The bike hadn't been ridden since the first 20 mile ride in February. I can't ride for a while, so they put another 20 miles on her for me. It ran nice and pulled hard. Sounds a bit different than before too. I want to get the rings seated properly because I'm afraid that when I'm finally able to ride again, it will have to be easy for a while.

While they were out riding, I hung out in the parking lot with crutches and the new GF. She's interested in riding. Imagine that! She rode a little dirt many years ago, but nothing for a long time so essentially a beginner. So we got her putting around on a little old yellow Yami 125 enduro -- she dumped it the first loop around and then just dropped to the ground laughing. Good sign. Another few loops on the little one, and she was ready for the Rooster: an '01 XR250. Except for not being able to kick start it, she took right to it and wants to ride again this next weekend and has a beginner motorcycle safety course scheduled.

It's not very easy to kick start a bike when you can put NO weight on your left leg. But it can be done.

While the boys were half way out on their ride, the guy on my bike had to call: "hey, is white smoke a bad thing?"

What a joker.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-28-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Adventures 351.0