Adjusting valves, found trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Took the parts to the dealer. The first words out of his mouth was "****, that not good". He says it looks like the cam is defective. He thinks the lobe was not hardened correctly. He determined that because the tip of the cam lobe was not a dull grey, no blueing from heat, and there are no dry marks (thats what he said) that would indicate no oil. He thinks the valves are ok. They told me to just put the bike back together enough to run and bring it in. He said they would take care of it. He took pictures to send to Kawasaki and printed off a ticket. The two guys who looked at it said they had never seen anything like it on a new bike.

Last edited by hancadam; 03-20-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hancadam
Took the parts to the dealer. The first words out of his mouth was "****, that not good". He says it looks like the cam is defective. He thinks the lobe was not harded correctly. He determined that because the tip of the cam lobe was not a dull grey, no blueing from heat, and there are no dry marks (thats what he said) that would indicate no oil. He thinks the valves are ok. They told me to just put the bike back together enough to run and bring it in. He said they would take care of it. He took pictures to send to Kawasaki and printed off a ticket. The two guys who looked at it said they had never seen anything like it on a new bike.
Sounds like a plan. Let them deal with it since it will be under warranty.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone that help out. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I got my bike back today!!! Very excited, its amazing how much you miss them when there gone. LOL.

The dealer replaced both cams, all 4 tappets, both cam sprockets, and chain. They could not find any issues that would have caused the cam to eat into the tappet. They went ahead and replaced all that they thought would be affected. They said Kawasaki was also stumped. They are sending the bad parts to Kawi for further investigation. I am really impressed with my dealer. Didn't cost me a cent. I was out fishing today, and Henry (service manager) called and said "Adam, come get your bike". I thought that was funny. My bike sounds just like new. I didn't realize how much power it had lost, it feels like a whole new bike now.

Last edited by hancadam; 04-02-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Good deal!

Hold onto that dealer! Do business with him, even if he's a few dollars above internet prices on small items, because he sounds like a good one to keep in business.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Agreed! The sale did not goes so smooth, but they have won me over now. When I bought it they told me $5700 OTD, but when it came time to sign papers they said they could only do $6300 OTD. So I got pissed and walked out. They called me back about 15 minutes later telling me to come get it.