Adjusted Valves Rule!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Adjusted Valves Rule!

Just got the bike back from my first valve adjustment at 8,300 miles. The first time they were checked they were in spec but at the lower end of the spec. This time out they needed adjustment.

What a difference adjusted valves make! The bike performs so much better. Cold starts are easier and the bike has more power.

It was pretty easy to tell that the valves needed adjustment. The bike had lost some pick-up and it had a harder time on hill climbs that it used to 'chew up'. So if your KLX has lost some power and you haven't had a valve job, go get them checked, it really makes a difference.

Mike

Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you do it yourself? If so how hard was it?

If not how much did it cost? How many hours of labor?

How much out of spec were they?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

It is very easy to check the valves with some simple tools, You will need a set of calipers in case the shims do not have markings on them, and a shim kit or if you have a nice dealer they will trade shims with you. A shop manual and some time and patience. The cost of all of this stuff is probaby less than the labor the shop will charge you.

Dennis

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey mike, were you at the lower end of spec at the the time of adjustment? Because I'm at the lower end on all four valves and I'm 5k miles...

Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Did you do it yourself? If so how hard was it?

If not how much did it cost? How many hours of labor?

How much out of spec were they?
I wouldn't attempt to do a valve job myself. Some guys are good at that sort of thing but I'm not. I paid $140 for the job, 1.5 hours labor plus materials. I didn't get the numbers but the valves were tight.

Jpaul: I was low on all valves at the 5,000 range as you are. I recall somewhere on this forum that 7,000 miles was the recommended valve adjustment window. For my bike that was spot on.

Mike

Old 06-20-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh ok...thanks mike!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
I wouldn't attempt to do a valve job myself. Some guys are good at that sort of thing but I'm not. I paid $140 for the job, 1.5 hours labor plus materials. I didn't get the numbers but the valves were tight.
Mike
You wouldn't be doing a "valve job". That would mean removing the head.

To check the valves, all you need to do is remove the valve cover and the two round screw-on covers on the left side of the engine case.

If an adjustment is needed, you would then remove the cam chain tensioner, the cam chain, and the cam shaft (s).

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup Brewster, that was not a valve job, just a shim check and install new shims as required....nooone the less $140 ain't bad in my book....thats a few hours phishing time.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Really not a hard job at all once you get past the whole mystery of it. It's the fear of the unknown that scares guys off from doing it. Look at Nobrakes thread from a few years ago. That plus the a couple phone calls to him got me thru it.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Whatever the terminology is, I aint doing it. It would probably be a good idea to learn how though. I've been looking into taking motorcycle repair courses so maybe some day...

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusted Valves Rule!