Acerbis tanks are in

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice memory, Dan. 2+ lbs of tank plastic for +1 gallon between the IMS and Acerbis...plus rad protection...suppose I'll have to suffer with it .

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Until they come out with a tank that actually fits the 09+ I'm going to stick with my Rotopax, which straps perfectly to my Nomad rear rack. My KLX is way to cold blooded to have the choke covered.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durden
Until they come out with a tank that actually fits the 09+ I'm going to stick with my Rotopax, which straps perfectly to my Nomad rear rack. My KLX is way to cold blooded to have the choke covered.
People should use whatever gas tank they want for whatever reasons they want, but the Acerbis does not make your choke **** unuseable at all. It does require knurling the **** down a bit so it clears, or cutting the shaft down and reattaching a different ****. It's all easy nonetheless.

Attached Thumbnails Acerbis tanks are in-choke-knob.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to you guys I ordered an acerbis tank for my bike ('07).
I just installed it. The color is a better match that I was expecting. The choke is still usable as-is. The installation was pretty straightforward I just had to bend one bracket to get it to fit.

Here's a before and after picture of the tank.
There's a picture of the choke fully engaged and a picture of the bend I did on the right bottom bracket to clear the radiator hose.

I just have to try it now to see how long I can go, but I expect 300-350km.

Attached Thumbnails Acerbis tanks are in-dsc00728.jpg   Acerbis tanks are in-dsc00738.jpg   Acerbis tanks are in-dsc00742.jpg   Acerbis tanks are in-dsc00743.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Good lord that is an eye sore.. I rather stop at the gas station every 90 miles..

Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

don't go too far off road then....... just stay where it is nice and safe....

Old 05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

You could always run it half empty and use it as a flotation device for river crossings.

At least you have options for the 06-07 bikes that pretty much fit the way they are supposed to. We're still waiting for a tank that properly fits the 09+ bikes.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
Good lord that is an eye sore.. I rather stop at the gas station every 90 miles..
Classy response there matasickle. Everyone uses these bikes differently, and in many places there isn't always a gas station nearby( see TNC's Moab thread , he probably didn't see gas for a few days at least). I have hit reserve on an organized trail ride in the middle of Wisconsin. doum obviously had a need for a larger capacity fuel tank.
Dan

Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Classy response there matasickle. Everyone uses these bikes differently, and in many places there isn't always a gas station nearby( see TNC's Moab thread , he probably didn't see gas for a few days at least). I have hit reserve on an organized trail ride in the middle of Wisconsin. doum obviously had a need for a larger capacity fuel tank.
Dan
I know.. that did come out really dick-like.
My apologies.. it was just the first thing that came to my mind..
It is my honest opinion.. to each their own!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
I know.. that did come out really dick-like.
My apologies.. it was just the first thing that came to my mind..
It is my honest opinion.. to each their own!
It looks sort of cool in a ugly sort of way though.....I kinda like it. It looks more enduro-like. I was going to get the factory second from the dent and scratch sale at clarks that someone posted about, but I think I got there too late.

If I'm going to pay $200+ for a 2.7 gallon tank, I may just go with the Acerbis, I dunno....

Is there any way to put some graphics on the tank to dress it up? Or is it impossible as it will not stay on?

Quick Reply: Acerbis tanks are in