351 question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 question.

I ride an 09 KLX250SF and I absolutely love it. My only problem is how slow it is hence the title.

My friend and riding partner rolls on a DRZ. It has the bolt ons (pipe, 3x3) but relatively stock.

My question is, with the 351 Bill Blue and pumper carb; will I be able to keep up? Not asking if I’ll be faster, just not left in the dust.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone interested in what can be done with a DRZ400 - this is mandatory reading : https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...-60-hp-103108/
So, your answer is no. You will not be able to keep up with a "stage 1" DRZ400. They only weigh about 25 lbs more but have 35 hp stock.

FYI: A dead stock 35 hp DRZ would not "leave you in the dust" if you go "all out" with KLX.

If you spend a few thousand dollars - 351, webcams, TM36-68 carb, full exhaust system (probably the best choice is the Barker system offered by Bill Blue), and run lidless (of course) you should achieve the normal results, 30 - 31 hp. Add porting by Bill Blue to get 32-34 hp..

Sorry..

Last edited by Klxster; 04-25-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

My experience - with stock klx250 I was not able to keep up with the gang, 250 simply didnt have enough power to climb steep hills, to accelerate properly etc
Then I changed gearing to 14/48, it got little bit better, but anyway far from ideal.
Then I did 351 conversion and klx became completely different bike. With 351 there are no problems to keep up with DRZs, KTMs and Huskies. I would say, now riding skills determine everything. I could be faster than less skilled DRZ rider, with the same skills of course he will be faster but not considerably.
It is all about trail and swamp riding, we almost dont use roads.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I’m not interested in smoking him. More or less I don’t want to have to wrap out to keep up with his half throttle. Riding around town isn’t bad but when we go adventure riding I can’t keep up on pavement.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thy_Chris
Yeah I’m not interested in smoking him. More or less I don’t want to have to wrap out to keep up with his half throttle. Riding around town isn’t bad but when we go adventure riding I can’t keep up on pavement.

Ok, a few more facts :
A stage 1 DRZ makes 37 hp (give or take based on competency of the tuning and competency of the parts selection) .
A KLX 351 + TM36-68 carb + full FMF exhaust system + lidless airbox will make 28 hp..

Certainly, subjective scenarios can be conjured whereby a KLX rider could "keep up" with a DRZ rider on pavement - how bout a stack of elves poorly duct taped onto the DRZ vs Larry Roeseler on a KLX..

Last edited by Klxster; 04-25-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Realize the guy is asking about keeping up when trail riding. A rider here rides a 300 kitted 250 and can keep up with riders on KTMs when out playing. I rode with a friend who was a national caliber hare scrambles rider. He rode a Penton 175, I was on a Suzuki TM125. I kept up. I did not and could not beat him, but on trail and play riding I had no problem keeping up. Fact was I could pass him in some cases, but that had to do with a few skills that were better than his, like fast rough down hills.

It isn't drag racing, it is play riding. I have to believe you've ridden a lesser bike and kept up with riders on faster/stronger bikes. It's the playing, not all out pedal to the metal racing.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Realize the guy is asking about keeping up when trail riding.

In my universe, his clarification concerning riding scenarios is "on pavement"..
Your universe may vary.. (Apparently.)

Last edited by Klxster; 04-25-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Supermoto is all about railing corners, HP is allmost irrelevent. If the DRZ is loosing you need to pick some roads with more bendies.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
In my universe, his clarification concerning riding scenarios is "on pavement"..
Your universe may vary.. (Apparently.)
I think he’s more on par to understanding than you. So I’ll clarify. I’m not asking if the 351 kit makes the KLX comparable to the DRZ. What I’m asking is when the lane changes from 45 to 65 will I be able to keep up with my friend.

i didn’t ask about gravel or dirt because I’m already faster than him there. It’s irrelevant to me - I’m more experienced. All I wanted to know is if my bike would better PACE ride with my group or should I save the money and accept her for who she is.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thy_Chris
What I’m asking is when the lane changes from 45 to 65 will I be able to keep up with my friend.

Yeah, some of us read stuff that ain't there..lol
I didn't know what riding scenario(s) you were referring to, but once researched, it really doesn't matter. On road/off road , the DRZ makes power we simply cannot match
Nice to know you are faster on in the "rough stuff"..

You will never be able to keep up with your friends Stage 1 DRZ in a WOT acceleration from 45 - 65 MPH - regardless of what you do to your KLX.. However, with $2000 invested into a full tilt 351, he will not be able to "run off and hide" from you. Add the cost of porting to your combo, and he will pull away even slower..

I have no idea what "better able to PACE ride" means to you - but I would suspect any power increase would help in this regard.. A lidless airbox, proper CVK (or TM36-68) setup, and full exhaust system will be mandatory regardless of whether you use a BB kit or not as "pavement pace riding" requires maximizing the upper 1/2 of the power band..

Again, sorry.. The numbers (for the possibilities) just don't add up.. You will - and I suspect can - accept the deficit at some point in your performance modding..

P.S. A (~$500) 24 hp lidless mod combo has top speeds over 100 mph - a stock DRZSM can apparently only do low 90"s...

Last edited by Klxster; 04-25-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 351 question.