351 knocking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

You could hear the audio?? I'm re-uploading it because I couldn't hear it, no audio. Well ok, I'll leave it as is. (the vid) I wonder if an exhaust leak would affect the idle, the other issue I'm having? I'll check the fasteners on the length of the exhaust. I do know that once I had the 351 put back together I didn't wait the full cure time for the hi temp silicone I used to seal the mid-pipe to the muffler. Some of it bubbled up and cooked out at that joint. When I first started up the new 351? Is there a good way to test for an exhaust leak?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC I think your correct the crank should be pulling on the opposite side of the chain run from the tensioner. If it pulled the other side (tensioner side) the tensioner would only be lable to take up slack when the engine was not under load . I was a bit out of my league on the 351 install so anything is possible.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I wrote ""You could hear the audio?? I'm re-uploading it because I couldn't hear it, no audio. Well ok, I'll leave it as is. (the vid)""

See, I'm an idiot, I had the sound turned off on the photobucket player thingy.
After that I better double check to see if there is even oil in the engine

Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not sure of how to test for an exhaust leak besides listening or feeling for it. However I think if you could start the bike in a place sheltered from the wind like in your garage (door open of course) and then start the bike and hold a candle up near the manifold where the pipe connects to the head which is where I would expect it to have the leak. The only other spot would be where the muffler connects to the manifold but from the "sharpness" of the sound I would think if it is a leak it will be at the head. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Take a big long screw driver and put it against your ear and place the tip at areas that you think may be making the knock. You will hear it very well when you get it close to the spot. I can't decide whether it is exhaust or mechanical.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I am not sure of how to test for an exhaust leak besides listening or feeling for it. However I think if you could start the bike in a place sheltered from the wind like in your garage (door open of course) and then start the bike and hold a candle up near the manifold where the pipe connects to the head which is where I would expect it to have the leak. The only other spot would be where the muffler connects to the manifold but from the "sharpness" of the sound I would think if it is a leak it will be at the head. Good luck!
Here we are in 2010, ane we're testing for exhaust leaks with candles...LOL!

Miaugi, I say that in complete fun, not flame...pun intended. I just got the funnies picturing someone using a candle in this manner. Hey...I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful around the fuel vapor areas.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Here we are in 2010, and we're testing for exhaust leaks with candles...LOL!

Miaugi, I say that in complete fun, not flame...pun intended. I just got the funnies picturing someone using a candle in this manner. Hey...I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful around the fuel vapor areas.
No problem, it is kinda funny! The only thing better would be a stethoscope with no probe on it, but if you weren't careful you could blow out an eardrum....or two!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

How many miles are on you bike altogether?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys all good leads, thanks. I checked the fasteners on the exhaust and they were all tight.
Red the bike has ~5100 miles. About 80-90 miles on the new cylinder. The candle idea gave me another idea. It might work to use an incense stick, let the smoke drift up around the area your checking and watch for a disturbance. I will say again that that video seems to magnify the sound I'm hearing. I think in general the KLXs are noisy.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
drw

Couldn't you spray soapy water on the exhaust system at the connection points and watch for bubbles when it runs? Kind of like testing for leaks in natural gas lines.

Quick Reply: 351 knocking when cold