351 break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 break in

Well, I should be getting my 351 on monday or tuesday and plan on putting it together next weekend. How did you break yours in? Easy or hard? Any heat cycles while it's still in the garage or just start and go? I know this may be opening a can of worms becasue everyone has their own ideas. I thought I seen somewhere here about the mototune break in, but couldn't find it.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
Well, I should be getting my 351 on monday or tuesday and plan on putting it together next weekend. How did you break yours in? Easy or hard? Any heat cycles while it's still in the garage or just start and go? I know this may be opening a can of worms becasue everyone has their own ideas. I thought I seen somewhere here about the mototune break in, but couldn't find it.
Can of worms is right. I side with those that say to break it in hard. It's what I did to mine and I actually tore mine down within 500 miles of breaking in the new 351 and everything appeared great. You can't ride it like a girl and expect the rings to seat right.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Search, everything you're posting about has been covered many times over the years.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Search, everything you're posting about has been covered many times over the years.
I only post on things I can't find. Maybe I'm not using the right words. If everything has been talked about then this site should just be shut down and only available to searching. If you think I'm wasting your time, then just look past my posts. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Just take it out and run it. Try to get on and off the throttle to load and unload the rings as much as possible. Do this for 10-20 miles and then change your oil and filter.

Done.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
I only post on things I can't find. Maybe I'm not using the right words. If everything has been talked about then this site should just be shut down and only available to searching. If you think I'm wasting your time, then just look past my posts. Thanks.
I don't think you're wasting my time - I don't give a s#($. I think you're wasting YOUR time asking questions that have threads pages and pages long on the answers you're looking for. You could have had an answer already by searching instead of waiting for someone to decide to type out their experiences again.

I'm going riding.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not like you're ridding the transmission gears of scharf...it's just ring-seating. On and off throttle rather vigorously for a few miles and they should be seated just fine. Just don't baby it. Congratulations!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 CousinLarry, I found 6 threads this year on break-ins.....

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-klx250-37268/

Below is cut n pasted from a previous post I wrote, from an older thread.

I have broken in a few bikes in my time & always do a ladies/road version of the Mototune break-in technique. I think the first 100km (70miles) are the most important & like to do three full heat cycles. example three 20mile runs with smooth throttle & keeping revs under 5000rpm then let cool down over night & same again for 3 days. Then change the oil/filter as any metal due to bad tolerances will be in the oil after the third heat cycle.

The next 500km (350miles) i will, once fully warmed up go up & down the rev range like a ****** knickers, slowly & briefly inching my way towards the redline! Never sit on a highway at a set speed for hours just clocking up the miles as this will not seat/bed in the rings properly. This section of the break-in is more like the Mototune method. I'm not running it like i stole it but it's quite energetic compared to a normal break-in......But you can running it like you stole it, if you want after the 1st oil change!!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

After reading the above post, then I think I did mine wrong. i went and rode my bike on the trail with lots of high rpm like theres no tomorrow. So far so good hopefully. only time can tell. Btw dropped my bike hard during that ride and scratched her bad.

Quick Reply: 351 break in