300cc Kit is here - hang onto your foot pegs gents, this is going to be fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300cc Kit is here - hang onto your foot pegs gents, this is going to be fun

ORIGINAL: deej
I had to edit this post because I went and looked again at the pictures and thought to myself I will never have the guts to tear into my bike, at least not until the 5 year warranty is up. I gotta give you props for getting your hands dirty and showing us what the inside our bikes.
Thanks for that - but I should mention that if you want to do this upgrade at some point but don't want to do it yourself, you can get it done at the dealer. Figure about 3 or 4 hours of labor at whatever your dealer charges (mine was going to cost around $290) plus parts. But my dealer would not install my parts - they wanted to source them for themselves. He said something about not being able to gurantee their condition, i.e., gasket, etc, and thus they couldn't warranty the work. I didn't check with him about what he would charge me for the parts.

At any rate, I don't like being dependent on the dealer. And I figure that the $290 I would have spent on the installation will cover the Mikuni pumper carb should I elect to do that in the future. I can rationalize these expeditures quite well, can't I?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300cc Kit is here - hang onto your foot pegs gents, this is going to be fun

Good stuff Brian, good luck with it all [8D]

Old 06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian,

Well documented as always. I'm looking forward to the reassembly and ride report.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't even check p/n's but are the 250 and 300 cams ground at the same angles?

Old 06-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Wow, that doesn;t look as hard as I thought it might be. Winter project me's think.

As for the break-in... he improtant part of hte break in is not the rings, it's the cylinder walls themselves. Although if the rings were leaking, yes, you'd probably have dark marks on the piston. I could also argue that since the engine is so small, and the weight of the bike is so great, easy break-in is not possible... and you were loading the motor harder than you thought. The improtant part is how hard it's loaded, not so much the RPM's so long as they a varied.

I think break-in problems will be more common on a high putput motor in a lightweight bike that allows the rider to tool around at <10% throttle and easily keep up with traffic... such as a 1000cc sportbike.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I am very impressed with your work and the guts to pull the bike apart like that. With my skill I could do what you did and pull it all apart like that but the problem will occur when I go to put it all back together.. I would never get the thing running again. Not to mention the left over parts I would have on my work table. So I give you KOOTOOOS!!!! I am looking foward to hearing of all the gains that you will be getting from your project. Well Done!!!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  popcrn.gif
Views: 285
Size:  2.8 KB

Old 06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes, you gotta know I was just messing with you lol, man I found your button lol take care man

Old 06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes, not only are you providing entertainment and education for us by you posts, I can bet that later in the future, someone is going to see your posts and use it as a reference material for his own conversion. You will be saving this person tremendous amount of swearing, skinned knuckles, and hours of aggravation. When the work is done, hes' going to sit down and open a can of beer and say, "thank god for this dude that made this post!"

Old 06-23-2006, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Hey Nobrakes, not only are you providing entertainment and education for us by you posts, I can bet that later in the future, someone is going to see your posts and use it as a reference material for his own conversion. You will be saving this person tremendous amount of swearing, skinned knuckles, and hours of aggravation. When the work is done, hes' going to sit down and open a can of beer and say, "thank god for this dude that made this post!"
I bet this is more than they show in the service manual pics, for sure. They are usually horrible.
These pics are great.

Quick Reply: 300cc Kit is here - hang onto your foot pegs gents, this is going to be fun