300 kit installed/ initial results

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300 kit installed/ initial results

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I do not see a sleeve in that pic. But that piston top needs cleaned up. Are they all cast pistons?
Usually stock pistons are cast, aftermarket pistons (Weisco) are forged. Forged is stronger but they expand more & require more piston to cylinder wall tolerance than cast. There are some smaller aftermarket companies that make cast pistons now. Basically if its shiny & looks like a polished piece of art -forged. If its dull grey its probably cast.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good news on the stock rings working with the coated/shiny cylinder walls. That was my biggest concern.
I am aware of cast and forged piston differences. (Heat transfer differences of the piston and liners but not in the relationto the coated cylinders.)
So with a coated cylinder and cast piston, clearances are normally what? .0015"

Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r8d8ter

Hey guys, I think this is my first post, but I have been on this forum gathering very valuable information and knowledge from all of you for about a year now so I would like to say thank you.
Now, barely knowing what a spark plug is myself, I have been trying to follow the 300cc/331cc upgrade stuff and I thought I had it all figured out until this post. The different piston sizes is throwing me off (249cc=72mm, 300kit=78mm, 331=83mm) I thought all I had to do was purchase the cylinder only, and ship it to kustomkraft and they would send me it back bored and plated/honed with all necessary parts for installation, so what size of piston will they send with the cylinder? I want the 83mm so I can have 331cc so would I have to tell kustomkraft to send me the 83mm or am I missing something?
I am on a first grade level with all of this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. So I guess what I am asking is if someone could tell me exactly what I need to do to upgrade to a 331 with part numbers and the best place to purchase the stuff.
Remember I am pretty ignorant with all of this so please use small words. lol
thanks
You have it right, for 331cc displacement, you need to send your 292cc cylinder to someplace like Kustom-Kraft where they will bore it, plate it, and hone it, and then ship it back to you with all the correct parts you need to finish the install, including the 83mm piston.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki call it electrofusion

Old 01-28-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r8d8ter

Hey guys, I think this is my first post, but I have been on this forum gathering very valuableinformation and knowledgefrom all of you for about a year nowso I would like to say thank you.
Now, barely knowing what a spark plug is myself, I have been trying to follow the 300cc/331cc upgrade stuff and I thought I had it all figured out until this post. The different piston sizes is throwing me off (249cc=72mm, 300kit=78mm, 331=83mm) I thought all I had to dowas purchase the cylinder only, and ship it to kustomkraft and they would send me it back bored and plated/honed with all necessary parts for installation, so what size of piston will they send with the cylinder? I want the 83mm so I can have 331cc so would I have to tellkustomkraftto send me the 83mmor am I missing something?
I am on a first grade level with all of this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. So I guess what I am asking is if someone couldtell me exactly what I need to do to upgrade to a 331 with part numbers and the best place to purchase the stuff.
Remember I am pretty ignorant with all of this so please use small words. lol
thanks
Hi r8d8ter,
No problem. Sharing info. is what this forum is all about
To start with you need a KLX300R 97-07 cylinder. They are all aluminum (no sleeve). I just went out to garage and looked atan extra 300 cylinder that I have. There are a couple of machine shops out there that will go 340cc using a steel sleeve. After talking to Scott at US Chrome www.usnicom.com Iam convinced thatsleeving isnot the way to go. So 331cc is the biggest bore being done at this time using a 300 cylinder w/ Nikisil plating.
Call Marvin at Kustom Kraft 888 697-4343 he will bore, send your cylinder to www.usnicom.com for nikisil plating and you will get all necessary parts including an 83mm piston, rings,gaskets, clips, etc. Bolt it back togather and hang on!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

& lastly courtesy of nobrakes

You can clearly see there is no sleeve, its just a cast aluminum cyclinder with a plated bore.

I have never held any KLX cylinder in my own two hands to know but from all the above I say no sleeve. What do you have to prove otherwise?
That's the 78mm piston for the 300 kit. Here's the 83mm for the 331:

And the 331cc cylinder after boring:

And here it is on the right before boring, the 249cc cylinder is on the left:

I had thought that the clinder portion itself that necks down into the engine was an insert. I'm probably wrong about that, though. Either way, even though the 249cc cylinder looks like it has a thicker "sleeve" (and it does), if you bored it all the way to 83mm to accomodate the 331cc displacement, you'd only have about 1.5 mm of material left. The 300cc cylinder on the right ends up with about 4mm of wall thickness remaining.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's just a little evaporation residue from the contact cleaner that I used to clean it before I installed it.

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I do not see a sleeve in that pic. But that piston top needs cleaned up. Are they all cast pistons?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mmatz
After talking to Scott at US Chrome www.usnicom.com I am convinced that sleeving is not the way to go. So 331cc is the biggest bore being done at this time using a 300 cylinder w/ Nikisil plating.
Just curious as to why sleeving is not considered reliable? I was told the same thing, but I'd like to know the reason.

Call Marvin at Kustom Kraft 888 697-4343 he will bore, send your cylinder to www.usnicom.com for nikisil plating and you will get all necessary parts including an 83mm piston, rings, gaskets, clips, etc. Bolt it back togather and hang on!
Yep, Marvin is a good guy. He even called me up a few weeks ago to make sure everything working fine and that I was still happy with it.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am still wondering what the big differences are on thermal expansion between the pistons used and the different liners or coatings.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Just curious as to why sleeving is not considered reliable? I was told the same thing, but I'd like to know the reason.

Yep, Marvin is a good guy. He even called me up a few weeks ago to make sure everything working fine and that I was still happy with it.

Scott at US Chrome explained to me that the sleeve route is OK, just not as good as Nikisil, due to the ring & piston wear as well as the heat transfer issue. And yes, he actually recommended that I use Marvin @ www.kustom-kraft.com for the machine work. Can't wait to get it all togather along with many other planned mods. This is going to be a great season!!!

Quick Reply: 300 kit installed/ initial results