300 kit installed/ initial results

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300 kit installed/ initial results

ORIGINAL: KLXer

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

So Nikasil is what is used and no sleeves.
Yes you have one or the other. Either they plate directly on the aluminum with Nikasil or they press in a cast iron liner into the aluminum cylinder. If I have read on here right the 250S cylinder has a cast iron sleeve while the stock 300 jug is plated.
No, they both have a sleeve. When you bore the sleeve, that removes theoriginal nikasil coating, that's why they re-nikasil.The nikasil has better wearcharacteristics then using just a straight sleeve.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Good info, thanks. So now that the engine is oversquare, any timing/cam alterations?

So Nikasil is what is used and no sleeves. Thanks Nobrakes and Tremor for the info.
The original sleeve is bored. Boring removes the orginal nikasil coating that was on the sleeve, so the sleeve is re-nikasiled after the boring process.

The 300cc jug has more material on the sleeve, so it can be bored further (up it 331cc). Better to use the orginalsleeve than tore-sleeve if you haveenough material on the original sleeve to bore it out. I hope that explains things better.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

so, there is still a sleeve but one is nikasiled, the other is not. So basically, an iron sleeve is used in both correct?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and depending on your cross hatch, clearance and type of rings and piston, an iron liner could be just as good since it is already there to begin with.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am not to knowledgeable on the Nikasil linings in relation to types of rings, ring hatch, etc.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I am not to knowledgeable on the Nikasil linings in relation to types of rings, ring hatch, etc.
The stock liners(sleeves) come from the factory with nikasil coating. Practically every modern bike does. That means the the stock rings work fine with the nikasil. Machine shops -like Custom Kraft- re-apply nikasil once they are done boring. They provide you with matching rings, piston, gudgeons, etc...sothat mean the rings they provide will be compatible with the coating and pattern.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I think this is my first post, but I have been on this forum gathering very valuableinformation and knowledgefrom all of you for about a year nowso I would like to say thank you.
Now, barely knowing what a spark plug is myself, I have been trying to follow the 300cc/331cc upgrade stuff and I thought I had it all figured out until this post. The different piston sizes is throwing me off (249cc=72mm, 300kit=78mm, 331=83mm) I thought all I had to dowas purchase the cylinder only, and ship it to kustomkraft and they would send me it back bored and plated/honed with all necessary parts for installation, so what size of piston will they send with the cylinder? I want the 83mm so I can have 331cc so would I have to tellkustomkraftto send me the 83mmor am I missing something?
I am on a first grade level with all of this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. So I guess what I am asking is if someone couldtell me exactly what I need to do to upgrade to a 331 with part numbers and the best place to purchase the stuff.
Remember I am pretty ignorant with all of this so please use small words. lol
thanks

Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ORIGINAL: KLXer

So Nikasil is what is used and no sleeves.
Yes you have one or the other. Either they plate directly on the aluminum with Nikasil or they press in a cast iron liner into the aluminum cylinder. If I have read on here right the 250S cylinder has a cast iron sleeve while the stock 300 jug is plated.
No, they both have a sleeve. When you bore the sleeve, that removes theoriginal nikasil coating, that's why they re-nikasil.The nikasil has better wearcharacteristics then using just a straight sleeve.
Sorry but you are wrong. The 300 uses a aluminum cylinder, plated, no sleeve. Here is my proof:

"All three models mentioned here utilize a special Electrofusion cylinder bore. This is a process that leaves a porous hard coating of molybdenum and steel permanently secured to an aluminum bore by using high voltage during manufacture. While such cylinders can't be bored in the same manner as steel units the benefits of the design are a resistance to wear and the ability to transfer heat more efficiently."

That is in refernce to the KLX300 from this link.http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mckaw/97klx2.html

& LA Sleeve listes the KLX 300 as a sleeve-less coated alluminum cylinder (note its is calssified as a AC bore, not a CI bore) http://offroad.parts-unlimited.com/21/225/2811001(then they sell you a cast iron, non coated sleeve to have machined in)

& lastly courtesy of nobrakes

You can clearly see there is no sleeve, its just a cast aluminum cyclinder with a plated bore.

I have never held any KLX cylinder in my own two hands to know but from all the above I say no sleeve. What do you have to prove otherwise?

Old 01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

If it had a sleeve it would looksimilar tothis:

The silver area witht he studs being the aluminum cylinder & the almost black center ring being the pressed in cast iron sleeve. You can see the difference in the ports even.

Anyone have a close up pic of a stock 250S cylinder to decided if that is sleeved or plated (& if it is sleeved I say its not plated, you have one or the other).

Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I do not see a sleeve in that pic. But that piston top needs cleaned up. Are they all cast pistons?

Quick Reply: 300 kit installed/ initial results