Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I like mine.
BMW I use as 80 road 20 off
Husky I use as 20 / 80

Love em both!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm I'd consider the Tiger 800xc if it ever comes out... I heard July.

Google it.... looks great!!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Hmmm I'd consider the Tiger 800xc if it ever comes out... I heard July.

Google it.... looks great!!
that looks a lot a bit like a bmw

Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have three bikes, each with a specific purpose.

The KLX250S, which I got last week, is an 80/20 bike... as in 80% dirt. It's just the right size for more technical trails.

The DR650 is the 50/50 bike, since it's a bit too big for tight trails and technical stuff. This is a great all-around bike. I rode 160 miles yesterday in total comfort and got 47 mpg despite 20-40 mph winds in every direction.

The Z1000 is the toy. It was one of those not-entirely-on-purpose acquisitions. Got it up in Oregon, and the deal was one of those just too good to pass up. It's a fun bike with absolutely ridiculous power. It doesn't start off slow and build up like a supersport. All the power is RIGHT THERE, RIGHT NOW from idle all the way to 11k. Mileage isn't the greatest... 33-36 on average. I can get low 40's if I'm real easy on it, but what's the point? Only 4-gal tank makes long trips a bit of a problem. But damn is it fun!

I would love one of those new Tiger 800XC's. I rode one a month or so ago when the demo truck came through. SWEET bike. It's on my list for sure.

Rob

Old 05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I have three bikes, each with a specific purpose.
Similar to RobG, I have a KLX250 (that's now a 331) that is 95% dirt...I'm on the road only long enough to get to the off-road parts. My KLR650 is probably 80% dirt, but, used on the LONG dirt rides that aren't so technical in nature. I'll even ride this beast over technical stuff if it's part of a LONG ride day. The bigger, heavier bikes just don't beat me up as much as being on a small bike....a bit counter-intuitive, perhaps. Well, I also have an extremely well-functioning suspension upgrade on the KLR. The same people are thinking of using my KLX for a test bike to put the same technology on the KLX. Although my Pro-Action upgrade on the KLX is very nice, I'll swap it out in a heartbeat if these other guys can put the technology on the KLX that I have on the KLR.
Then, I have a CB919 for the road rides...although I have ridden it on easier dirt surfaces, I have to really watch for it's low clearance between the road surface and those 4 exhaust pipes! (Again, suspension upgrades are a must on this bike, too.)

Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've got an '09 KLX with most of the mods commonly listed here (suspension being sent out to MotoPro in a week) & I love it. I live in SoCal, so I wanted a dirt bike that was street legal that didn't cost a freakin' fortune (KTM). I've thought a lot of about the BB 351 kit - which may still happen - but have been leaning towards a KLX450 for those big 4 day trips in Johnson Valley. I love my 250 because it's plated, but it's lacking a bit (OK more than a bit) in other areas. I can still buy a NEW '08 or '09 KLX450 for under $4k, which would still put me waaayy under a KTM. My other reason for thinking about a 2nd dirt bike is the fact that I'm worried that I'm stressing the 250's frame too much, or will over time.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

For your second bike i suggest you buy the 351 kit and do ALL the Mods., oh wait,,,,
Why bother, do your bike first then come back with the same question in a month.
Seriously though, same everything but more displacement??? the 351 is your ticket.
My bike is night and day difference from stock.
If i buy another bike though, it will be a DR650,,, with a big bore kit to 780cc.
Now that's a thumper that will pull tree stumps!!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

There is no reason to buy second bike unless it is really big one. I tried many options and settled up having two bikes: KLX250s and BMW R1200GSA. These bikes cover all spectrum of riding.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll see how I feel after I get my suspension back from MotoPro I guess. In it's stock form (with the suspension cranked up) my KLX250 feels like it's trying to kill me in the whoops. John at MotoPro promises a night/day difference. The 351 kit is probably in my future too. I can never leave anything alone, man. I can't remember the last thing I bought that stayed anywhere near stock.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexgg
There is no reason to buy second bike unless it is really big one. I tried many options and settled up having two bikes: KLX250s and BMW R1200GSA. These bikes cover all spectrum of riding.
Actually you need a KLR 650 to round it all out. Long dual sport rides, long range, and can carry more.

Quick Reply: 2nd Bike, what would you buy?