2nd Bike, what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2nd Bike, what would you buy?

Howdy all, I am buying a second bike to the 09-250KLX i have. for those of you that have either had others or currently have, what would you buy? My needs-wants are basic, same seat height, electric start, larger displacement, dual purpose, more off road than on, i have looked at huskies,ktm, bmw, what would you buy?? thanks

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

You want two dirt bikes?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Ktm ktm

Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Husaberg 450 or 570

Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

larger displacement and same seat height? Good Luck. Gas Gas Pampara 280, two stroke dualsport...........No longer made but a good low seat and more power.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I just recently got myself a 2010 Husqvarna TE450, but for a short while before I got it I had a 2008 CRF450X (till it was stolen). I also test rode a KLX450R when looking at my options. Here's what my test rides and research told me:

Honda CRF450X: Solid bike. Poor bottom end power compared to the other options, but more than makes up for it with massive mid-range and top end power when you let the revs climb. If you go for a 2008 model or later its best as that is the model they last did any meaningful updates to. Rear suspension is awesome for hooking up in almost any terrain. The forks would do well with having a suspension shop sorting the shim stack out, and maybe even new valves - but the Showa's are pretty damned good otherwise. For better performance you will need to cut the airbox a bit to allow better airflow, unplug the muffler (or get a slip-on), and re-jet. Get yourself a JD kit and a larger pilot jet to make life easier. Carb will need the O-ring mod and AP mod to make the bike jump nicely. Honda haven't changed the bike much for a decade simply because it works so well. Ignore horror stories about their engines grenading because of valves being out of spec - that is largely myth now, though it is a good idea to keep checking clearances just in case. It's really not that difficult. There are tons of accessories and spares available for the bike because it's been around so long. Should tick your seat height box too.

KLX450X: Very comfortable and reliable bikes. The Kayaba suspension is VERY plush though, so bank on spending money on sorting it out if you ride any decently rough terrain. The KLX has tractor like power at low revs, but signs off early in the mid range and has poor top end power - especially when compared to the CRF. This can be improved by getting a new exhaust system. The really badly designed header pipe needs replacing anyway as it obstructs the oil filter. The stock pilot jet is fine, but the main needs to be bigger, which really helps the top end. The engines are bulletproof! The bike hasn't been around as long as the CRF, so not as many accessories and spares, but has a lot of part interchangeability with the KX that it is heavily based on. Should tick your seat height box too.

BMW: STAY AWAY!!!! That's right, STEP AWAY FROM THE BMW!!! Of all the 450's manufactured in the last 10 years, the BMW is the only true lemon. That's why BMW bought Husky and abandoned their bike (except engine) in favour of the Husky.

Husky: Don't touch the 2009 and older as they used MARZOCCHI forks which sucked BIG time. The only 450's worth considering are the 2010 TE450 which uses Kayaba forks that was the last model in that generation (so they had ironed out pretty much all the creases the design had), or the new TE449 which uses the BMW engine and coaxial traction system in the tried and tested Husky frame. By all accounts the new TE449 is a brilliant bike. The Mikuni fuel injection is not the most advanced, but it's decent and an improvement on the traditional carb. The TE449 pretty much comes with all the bling you'd want, including Akrapovic pipe, Excel rims, etc. Although I may be biased, I think this should be a serious consideration for anyone buying a new bike. My 2010 models suspension is pretty aggressive and I will be getting it re-valved and re-shimmed. The bike feels damn near psychic as far as turning it goes though, making it great fun to ride. Main problem for you is the seat height though as it is a tall bike :-(

Hope that helps.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

imho, Keeps Taking Money, Brakes My Wallet, and i dont have one for husky but they fall apart after 10-12 thousand miles. simple/cheap, xr650l, lower it with a link, fork springs, tank, jetting, cs, and tires. if your in a state that allows it, go even better and just plate an xr650r. both will last forever.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm seriously considering the new Honda CBR250R. Yeah I've got a thing for small displacement, light motorcycles.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Dyna Glide or Bonney!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

A street bike.

Quick Reply: 2nd Bike, what would you buy?