2014 No new updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

probably no market. of the big 4 the only midsize street offroad model is the zuk dr400.

with all the big money brands (ktm, husky, gas gas,etc.) competing for the same niche I can see why the japanese companies are not putting out competition.

plus bikes are not selling well in any catagory in the US, even the "economy" models. dealers around here are still sitting on 2010 models in some cases.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The DR400 is too tall for a street bike (for me anyway). Needs a 6th gear too. The japanese could take a bigger chunk of the market if they just tried a little. Honda seems to be the only jap company producing new bikes. I still don't understand the Grom, but I want to try one anyway.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
The DR400 is too tall for a street bike (for me anyway). Needs a 6th gear too. The japanese could take a bigger chunk of the market if they just tried a little. Honda seems to be the only jap company producing new bikes. I still don't understand the Grom, but I want to try one anyway.
Not knocking Honda, but have you noticed most of those new bikes are less expensive, lower tech bikes compared to many other Japanese bikes of the same or similar displacement? That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially for the pavement market. Honda is going for a bigger market with less expensive bikes. Yamaha is doing a bit of the same with the Bolt series. I don't think this approach works as well with the more serious element in the DS market. The CRF250L is a nice little bike, but it compromises heavily on the suspension and weight factors to make a price point. Again, probably a pretty good move for the mass market, but people wanting a more serious DS bike will see a problem with that.

But when you get right down to it, the U.S. DS market has always been soft, and it's only marginally better worldwide.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Not knocking Honda, but have you noticed most of those new bikes are less expensive, lower tech bikes compared to many other Japanese bikes of the same or similar displacement? That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially for the pavement market. Honda is going for a bigger market with less expensive bikes. Yamaha is doing a bit of the same with the Bolt series. I don't think this approach works as well with the more serious element in the DS market. The CRF250L is a nice little bike, but it compromises heavily on the suspension and weight factors to make a price point. Again, probably a pretty good move for the mass market, but people wanting a more serious DS bike will see a problem with that.

But when you get right down to it, the U.S. DS market has always been soft, and it's only marginally better worldwide.
Not according to Honda. "Front to rear, inside and out, you'll find no compromises on the CRF250L."

Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
not according to honda. "front to rear, inside and out, you'll find no compromises on the crf250l."
LOL!...the truth...nothing but the truth.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Just tested a new WR 250F in South Africa. Was expecting huge globs of power and handling for the price. My 300 has more bottom end grunt, and handles well in Motard guise. The WR revs out a lot higher and shakes its head around at speed. Overall I was not that impressed. However I must add that compared to a stock KLX the WR 250 F is a lot more serious. I am however too scared to add up how much I have spent to get a semblance of performance from the little Kwaka. ( And still spending)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The WR has a shorter stroke so it will spool up faster, but will have a little less torque compared to the KLX. The WR definitely has more power in the higher rpm range.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Yeah, the KLX450 here is Aus basically hasn't changed since it's first introduction.... A 6th gear and better fuel capacity on the current KLX450 would be good too.
That KLX450R has a headlight, but isn't street legal. The video on the Kawi AU site talks about how it would be a great bike for the bush, but with 8L (2 gal) of fuel on a 450cc bike it better be a short trip. Yeah, you can get after market stuff, but you shouldn't have to. Add a bigger tank, 6th gear, tail light, turn signals, drop the seat height a bit, and bring it to the US.

Kawasaki Motors Australia - 2013 KLX450R

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Lotrat, I notice that the current KLX450 in Aus does not come delivered with street legal equipment, but isn't their title there a street-capable category? I know that does us here in the U.S. little good, of course. On another note, I swear I could remember seeing a delivered-as-street-legal version with blinkers and all equipment when these bikes came out around '08...from Aus or somewhere. I also think there might be a street legal WR450F in some countries.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

No idea. I was just poking around the AU site. I just figured you need a tail light to be street legal anywhere. Point being is that here's a bike that exists today, just about 90% of what all of us want, and isn't available in the US. I don't think it would be very hard for Kawi to make it street legal. Isn't it their business to build and sell motorcycles? Their current plan is causing them to loose market share. If you had the money to buy any bike to fill the needs of your current KLX250S would it be a Kawi? No idea what the price point is on this thing, so my rant may be pointless.

Quick Reply: 2014 No new updates