2010 Joe Rocket Hybrid Helmet (DS).

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Careful when you start talking about standards and who has the best. For the longest time, Snell was focusing primarily on shell strength. An independent firm questioned why they weren't paying enough attention to force tranmitted to rider's head and Snell was really snobby about even being questioned about it...until recently when they quietly 'revised' their standards...not sure what those revisions cover though.

The arguing point was that some companies that get Snell appoval on a particual helmet line were using the same size of shell for all head sizes, which naturally decreases the amount of shock absorbing foam you can use inside the shell on the larger helmets.

Anyhow, I've heard that the helmets coming from Europe, which carry ECE and DOT approvals currently have the most comprensive testing. Add Snell to that and I suppose it's that much better.

Originally Posted by rrudholm
How much is your head worth? Doctors are really good at fixing things below the neck but they aren't very good at fixing above the neck. I have seen crashes where the doctor would say, Good thing he had a good Snell approved helmet. Shoei and Arai only make snell helmets and nothing less.

Snell Approved Helmets

Jafrum Motorcycle Gear and Accessories

Snell Memorial Foundation (SMF) is known for its work in testing variety of helmets, but it is most known for its motorcycling helmet testing. SMF is an independent and objective tester, whose experience has made it the authority in helmet safety testing.

Each approved helmet type has gone through rigorous testing. Helmets are tested for impacts, stability, durability (penetration test for shell and face shield both), rigidity of the chin bar and even flame resistance. Their standards surpass by far those set by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) and the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission’s 16 CFR Part 1203. All Snell approved helmets are DOT approved, but not all all DOT approved helmets are Snell Approved.

Helmets meeting Snell’s Standards provide the highest level of protection available. When you wear a Snell Approved helmet, you know you are protecting your head to the highest degree.

In order to avoid rigged results, SMF continuously monitors the quality of helmets by testing random samples of currently certified helmets obtained from the marketplace. This ensures consistent quality and safety of each helmet model, not just the one sent to Snell for testing. Should a currently certified helmet fail, the helmet manufacturer must correctany problems with the helmet safety or the certification can be revoked.

The Snell standards are updated about every five years, and they are always based on the latest scientific research and the most modern manufacturing technologies. That is partly why the Snell safety helmet standards are recognized in the U.S. and around the world.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm happy to go with the Australian standard for these type of things.
So if it's got the AS sticker on it, good enough for me.

I recently bought a Shark helmet.
Reported to be the safest helmets in the world.
Whilst they are not cheap, they are less expensive than a Shoei and IMO much more comfortable.
And fairly light for the money which is something that is important for me.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I picked up an AFX dual purpose in July and really like it. ($120) It is a lot quieter on the highway rides to our trails, and is a good alternative to wearing goggles on a hot day.

I wear a face mask to filter the dust in dusty conditions. The face plate can be removed allowing the use of goggles.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I normally use a MX style helmet (Kolpin I think). Dont like goggles tho. I have a couple pair of riding glasses that I like very much. Look same as sunglasses but are shatter resistant and have a foam type seal inside to keep most of the wind out. Paid around 6 dollars each for them at a safety supply store. Cooler temps I have a Shark A500 to keep me noggin from goin numb.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ive had HJC helmets for a while, and ive had some pretty nasty crashes, but the helmets did their job. i have a problem spending 300-500 bucks on a helmet that is gonna wind up in the trash after a bad wreck

Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I picked up an AFX dual-sport helmet that looks the same as the one pictured at the beginning of the thread. The sun visor is designed to let alot more air pass underneath of it than a typical off road helmet. That, and the curvature of the visor helps cut down on drag imensely until you turn your head then you feel it big time.

I use the helmet on my 60 mile, highway speed daily commutes. Which consists of a large portion in a 65mph zone with no trouble. I couldn't do that with the sun visor on my standard off road helmet.

For casual trail riding the helmet is fine. But for serious off roading I prefer the goggle/off road hemet better. Simply because it gets too hot underneath of the AFX's face shield and it feels like I'm gonna suffocate. With a goggle set-up it's much easier to catch your breath on them tight goat trails. I found myself lifting the face shield way to often off road with the AFX which of course leaves you eyes vulnerable. Lifting the face shield half-way or part of the way didn't work well because it annoyingly interferes with your field of vision. Also, not alot of padding in the AFX but I like the helmet alot. The face shield comes in handy when you get caught in rain and I'm sure it's better in the colder weather than the open face off road helmets.

Mike

Last edited by KDXmike; 09-28-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Shoei Hornet DS and wouldn't hesitate to try on one of these Joe Rocket/HJCs if I was in the market for a new one.

I had a HJC dirt helmet, which was fine, but the flat roost guard really caught the wind and wearing goggles in the winter and on the highway sucked. (Cold nose, fog.)

The Shoei definitely has a better fit and finish, but it cost almost 3 times as much.

If this helmet was around when I was buying I would have considered it. The DS helmets with a visor are awesome if you are stopping a lot or want to crack it one notch for a little fresh air. They're great for people that wear glasses, too- that was another pain with the goggles.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do get this helmet please post a review. I am looking to get a decent helmet and am overwhelmed by the range of prices and choices. I will be probably rideing 80-90% road but the maximum speed limit anywhere is 45mph(not followed but probably max Ill ever want or need to ride would be 70) Guam is allways warm and most of the time hot so my # two priority in a helmet that fits will be ventilation.
My last two helmets were Shoi RF200's(15 years ago and I still remember the model #-WOW) But I know they would be too warm for me here.
This helmet looks good but I dont want a black heat absorber.
Cheers Jim
PS is there a setting to NOT subscribe yourself to every thread that you post in?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
I picked up an AFX dual-sport helmet that looks the same as the one pictured at the beginning of the thread. The sun visor is designed to let alot more air pass underneath of it than a typical off road helmet. That, and the curvature of the visor helps cut down on drag imensely until you turn your head then you feel it big time.

I use the helmet on my 60 mile, highway speed daily commutes. Which consists of a large portion in a 65mph zone with no trouble. I couldn't do that with the sun visor on my standard off road helmet.

For casual trail riding the helmet is fine. But for serious off roading I prefer the goggle/off road hemet better. Simply because it gets too hot underneath of the AFX's face shield and it feels like I'm gonna suffocate. With a goggle set-up it's much easier to catch your breath on them tight goat trails. I found myself lifting the face shield way to often off road with the AFX which of course leaves you eyes vulnerable. Lifting the face shield half-way or part of the way didn't work well because it annoyingly interferes with your field of vision. Also, not alot of padding in the AFX but I like the helmet alot. The face shield comes in handy when you get caught in rain and I'm sure it's better in the colder weather than the open face off road helmets.

Mike
Mike, I wear shades under my AFX...or clear glasses. I did some pretty serious off road stuff this August in Colorado, and I just start opening the shield more and more as needed for ventilation when the slow slogging got serious. I agree...I wouldn't want my face shield closed while doing any serious trail work...even in the cool weather of Colorado. That's the beauty of the AFX and similar helmets like the one originally posted. That moveable shield with the visor staying in place is awesome.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 AM

Well, there is some debate on what the best standard is for off road helmets. The Snell rating is superior for road riding. Snell is aimed more at automotive and road motorcycle accidents. It's rating is better for higher speed and more energy impacts that are more likely in road riding and hitting pavement or cars. I guess for trail riding the DOT would be fine but I like to ride on the road and I feel better wearing a Snell approved helmet. Go to the local Hospital ER and ask them. They have seen first hand what happens to a helmet (also the persons head) and the helmet rating. Crashing on the road is a bad deal no matter what but I'll want the best helmet I can afford.

Quick Reply: 2010 Joe Rocket Hybrid Helmet (DS).