2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uk_nick
I had come to the conclusion that there was no way I would keep my KLX once the warranty expired - it still has several months to go, but I got a great deal on a Yamaha Tenere so it was time to say goodbye.

I really have had enough of the random engine stalling. It leaves you feeling very nervous in traffic.

I also found the KLX very "jerky" when trying to ride at low speed (walking pace) in traffic or when off-road. I am sure the fuel injection is to blame.

It is a shame that the bike does not live up to expectatons. It is a good looking machine, and rides well.

So long, farewell ......
So is that you got rid of yours then uk_nick?.. Ive got one of mine advertised just now, but have only had one person who wants me to give it away & thinking of just keeping the one I am converting into a supermoto, Im thinking its time to just buy a cheap van & get another gasgas 2-stroker for riding the forestry paths (least I know those things dont cut out!)

Ive had no support at all from kawasaki UK, they just tell me to go back to the dealer every time, anyone else had an luck at all?.

Ed.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Been following this thread ... man does this make me happy about my carburetor. Interesting side note, the KTM EFI bikes had, as I recall, an almost identical problem. They got a better response than I've seen so far here, but I've been scared of the EFI on a thumper ever since then. Seems like the single cylinder bikes are just more temperamental for setting up the EFI and getting it right. This kind of safety issue is just not something I could live with on a bike.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Might have some good news, My Kawasaki dealer has had both my bikes now for a week, & one of the machanics took one home, about a 15-20 mile trip & guess what, it stalled on him once, but as he said there was no stopping really on that route but still took an age to restart when it did cut out.. no big deal or so he thought, He took the other one out the next day & went a different route with loads of stopping 7 junctions, guess what, it just kept cutting out on him!!!, & taking ages to restart!!.. At last the dealer has had the bikes cutting out while they are there!!!

But better still, he has gave kawasaki support UK a mouthful about the bikes cutting out & Im getting a new 2010 ecu sent up to try & see if that stops it cutting out!!, SO everyone with this problem push your dealer like hell!!, Kawasaki UK sending me this new ecu has poss. opened the floodgates now for us all to get them seen too, & replaced if it cures mine!!!.. It means Kawasaki know that the problem is officially there now & has to act now!!!

Ed.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Ed, I've had some luck too. My dealer actually believed me when I described the cutting out problems and badgered Kawasaki mercilessly.
I now have the new ECU and all the stalling problems are gone. It even seems to have a little bit more 'umph in the upper gears.

For interest these are the numbers of the two ECU s.

OLD

632B-190A-000
21175-0167 (part no.)
KEIHIN 8843-102784

NEW

638B-190A-000
21175-0304 (part no.)
KEIHIN 7052-100495

The Kawasaki part number is the middle set of numbers.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to sea this problem finally getting resolved! Your older ECU may be the same one that that limits RPM in the higher gears. I wouldn't doubt if you have a higher top speed with this new ECU.

I was debating getting the new EFI KLX, but while I was hemming and hawing Kawi came-out with the all new 2010 z1000 which I'm lusting over like a goofy highschool kid.

Talk about jumping from one extreme to another, eh?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Hi all i have a 2010 klx with the new ecu and have no problems with the fueling. Did have a xt660 in the past and sold it because of the surging at slow speed and the cutting out. FI Singles can really suffer for the emissions.
(They dont like being mapped lean)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

My new ECU has completely cured the stalling problem and I can now honestly say that the KLX is the best small bike I have ever owned.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Default Traffic Control Signage

There some different safety signs for different places for example in public places we cannot drive car fast and in no smoking zone we cannot smoke. Safety signs tells us about that rules.

Traffic Control Signage

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Bye, bye efi.Trading my '09 tomorrow for something that won't stall, to do my daily jobs as I already got a good deal for an RMZ 450 06.Kawasaki here (in Greece) didn't even listen to my complaints.I hope next year's model and after don't have this problem.Have a nice ride guys,I found really useful info here.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 PM

My 2012 KLX250efi does the same stalling trick. Seems my ecu is the old version yet Kawasaki UK won't admit a problem and my nearest dealer is 50 miles away as Kawasaki.uk admit I'm in a black hole for dealers!

Where can I find the f1 fault codes and also the efi manual?

Thank you, from my first post!

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights