2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Ed,

Im in the UK (Bristol). I to have had the stalling thing not as much by sounds of what u have had but since owning mine back in March had probably stalled about 5 times and like you say always at lights in risky places! and takes a while to start after to long holds on starter switch and throttle to get it going seems like it dont like hot starting much!
Stalls for no apparant reason to, i do tend to know sort of blip throttle but not much tick over is around 1500rpm now.
It feels restricted to me as well, I plan on getting a two brothers juice box but that will not be for ages now my bike is my commuter and cant afford any mods yet!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi lee1980, Thanks for your reply... The stalling/cutting out I have been having is driving me insane, almost every time im coming to a stop then ticking over it just dies on me & at least I know its not only me!!... You might want to see your dealer about it cutting out as I think the only cure for our bikes in the UK is to let Kawasaki know whats going on & how its not right!...

As far as im aware, there is a new ECU that should be given to us in the UK, especially since the owners in Thailand have been having them changed, had another thai owner tell me his was changed for free by his dealer under a recall over there!!.. But Kawasaki UK just refuse to admit there is a problem!!..

The easiest way to see if your bike is restricted is to get to a clear road (make sure no police etc hehe) & redline the bike in 1st gear, then 2nd gear & when you get to third gear about 50-55 the bike will start to lose power & will sit about 8000rpm-8600rpm & it will refuse to rev higher in 3rd.. It is speedo related, the ECU reads the speed & after the 50-55 mark, starts to retard & limit the bike.... makes overtaking very very scary when the bike just gives up revving when it should go higher.. The other way to tell your bikes restricting is your top speed, I can get 74-75 max & thats me head down on the tank lol!..

Ive heard the juice box makes the bike come alive, but until our ECU's are replaced with the 'NEW' proper mapped ones, the juice box would be of no use as it will still limit at the lower than redline rpms in the higher gears..

Ed.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Ed,

I've had my KLX 250 injection for about a month now and it displays all the problems you are experiencing especially the stalling at the lights. It is due for its first service on Friday so I will keep you informed of developments. I have also just sent an email to Kawasaki customer services pointing out the problems relating to the Thai models and to ask them when the UK bikes will be recalled.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have just had F.I light stay on and did the code check and its the o2 sensor that has gone but bike runs fine so not sure it does much really! lol

Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I also have a UK spec 2009 EFI model and mine stalls randomly. Twice this morning. But then it can run fine for a week !

I have also suffered from the engine pulsing between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm. The only cure seems to be to switch off and re-start which presumably resets everything.

My only other complaint is that after just one winter the wheel hubs and spokes are badly corroded. I am quite shocked at this as it is the worst corrosion I have seen on any bike after just one year.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi mate, I live in Greece and got the 09 EFI brand new early in December.At first I thought the bike stalled because of my faulty use at stop and go situations.After all I was using a hard to use bike(that's what I call my 600cc TTR) for every day the past 8 years(the KLX runs much,much smoother in comparison).Seems that was not the problem, two months ago I changed to a full FMF Q4+mega exhaust system and I'm still having the same problem.Spontaneous stalling at traffic lights or stop signs and me growing very anxious about it since accidents here happen very,very often!
I talked to a local dealer and he said I should check my TPS over the side stand and use a lot of contact cleaner(I did).I went to an authorized mechanic and submitted the same question he said that might be right and that we could cancel the wiring of the TPS to avoid further trouble.Although I would do that eventually I'm not sure that's what would make a new bike work properly or the factory could make them without it from now on.
According to the Thailand forum Kawasaki replaces the old ECU with a new one,that's new info for me and as soon as I'll find some time next week,I'm gonna ask Kawa Greece to see what they know about it and keep my fingers crossed...

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by athelstan
Hi Ed,

I've had my KLX 250 injection for about a month now and it displays all the problems you are experiencing especially the stalling at the lights. It is due for its first service on Friday so I will keep you informed of developments. I have also just sent an email to Kawasaki customer services pointing out the problems relating to the Thai models and to ask them when the UK bikes will be recalled.
Hi there athelstan, uk nick & erekose...

Thanks to you all for replying to my thread, I have now got a list of 12 bikes that are suffering the same problems as mine here in the UK (excep erekose as your in greece, but suffer the same problem) & the person you will be put in touch with in he UK is a total pr@t by the name of Andrew Squires, he is the Technical Service Advisor of Kawasaki UK who still says that my bike does NOT suffer the cutting out problem & does not have a limiter that starts to cut in at 51mph (start in 1st & redline, second will redline then try & get 10.5k rpm after around 50mph in 3rd, You cant with the bad ecu!!) & means that you can only get 72mph MAX in top gear as you cant rev higher than 8000rpm in top gear.

The only reason I found that my bike was limiting the way it was is I ran my bike in by the Kawasaki say in the manual, so I never had it revving high till it was ran in... My dealer was told of the cutting out the day I picked up the bike as it kept cutting out... I was told it was the engine was tight & would cure itself!!.. Ive been having a nightmare with the cutting out & its not getting any better & now Ive got over 1000 miles, & Squires says its not a fault hahaha........

Ive come up with a way to bypass the limiter so you get the full power in all gears, but this still has'nt cured my cutting out problem.

All you can do is complain to your dealer about it cutting out & that might make Squires move off his a$$ & issue a proper recall..

Ed.

Last edited by Big-Ed; 04-07-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lee1980
I have just had F.I light stay on and did the code check and its the o2 sensor that has gone but bike runs fine so not sure it does much really! lol
Did you use the Kawasaki Manual I sent you to find that out lol??..

What was the service code, 33? If it was the 33 code, the system just stops reading the lambda sensor & defaluts into open loop mode... That manual I sent you will list the codes & tells you what they stop when the code comes up.

Thats crap your sensor has gone on you!!...

Ed.

Last edited by Big-Ed; 04-06-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, Now I'm glad my 09 has a carb after reading this thread.
Too bad all of you are having such a bad time with the EFI. Hopefully a fix will come soon so you can enjoy your rides.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by canklx
Ok, Now I'm glad my 09 has a carb after reading this thread.
Too bad all of you are having such a bad time with the EFI. Hopefully a fix will come soon so you can enjoy your rides.
For reasons unknown to me, the Uk & europe, China, Japan & thailand got landed with the EFI models even though america has the hardest exhaust emissions standards for smaller bikes, yet america got the carb as did you in canada even when EFI is meant to be better as it wastes less fuel & is meant to be better to the enviroment!!...

My old 2-stroke 1990 KDX125 is far faster than a modern four stroke 250 & funny thing is that its a 2-stroke & cuts out less at lights even when it oils up its plug cause I aint been blipping it!! WTF??

Ed.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights