2009 KLX 250 s not starting, but electric start works fine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 02:26 AM
Exclamation 2009 KLX 250 s not starting, but electric start works fine...

I go to start it, insert the key and turn it on, give it about quarter throttle and hit the start button. It cranks and cranks and sounds fine, but wont start using electric start... Once bump started, the bike works and runs fine. When hot, i kill the bike and start it again but still wont start using the electric starter. Any suggestions to why it would be like this? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2020, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

What have you already checked?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-14-2020, 02:39 AM

well, just bought it. I dont think its the carb, may be the spark plug. when i test rode it it started pretty easily. could it have flooded when i loaded it into my truck and drove home?

Old 04-14-2020, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have a carb, when starting, turn on the gas valve and wait 10 seconds, fully pull on the choke, DO NOT TURN THE THROTTLE, hit the starter, do not turn the throttle until it is running, then when you do, keep it at 3K for about 10 seconds to clear. Reset the choke after .1 of a mile of riding.

After it's fully warmed up, it will start without the choke if you run into a store or something.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree it may be either the carburetor or the starting technique mentioned previously. If it bump starts, it not likely the spark plug nor is it likely flooded. It could be a weak battery not able to turn over a cold engine. Check voltage with the key off and while cranking.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

If it is cranking, you have voltage, hello!

Old 04-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you have a carb, when starting, turn on the gas valve and wait 10 seconds, fully pull on the choke, DO NOT TURN THE THROTTLE, hit the starter, do not turn the throttle until it is running, then when you do, keep it at 3K for about 10 seconds to clear. Reset the choke after .1 of a mile of riding.

After it's fully warmed up, it will start without the choke if you run into a store or something.
This one^

I remember some good old write ups in this forum concerning the same questions. May be some long winded reading though. Good luck

Old 04-15-2020, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If it is cranking, you have voltage, hello!
Yes, hello, how much voltage is the question...
You seem like you'll figure it out and help the poster then, so I spare you the details on why it could still be the battery and how to actually check one.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm all ear's, how does a battery stop it from starting if it will turn the engine over at a normal rotation?
Please include you personal experience when dealing with this issue under this situation, as I find it hard to understand how this could happen.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Most people don't really understand electrical systems, so here's a few things: starter motor power in watts = volts x amps. A good motorcycle "12V" battery should be around 12.7V fully charged(higher for LiPo). At 12V it has 25% or less charge. When you crank an engine voltage drops. Too much drop and the starter motor will spin, but not draw enough power (watts) to start many engines when cold. YouTube "Voltage Drop Test" to see how to test. Most people, especially the owner of a new to them bike, can't hear the difference between a static 12.7V or one at 12.3V on the battery when they start cranking.

Personal experience:
1. Bought a used KLX that was about 6 years old. Original battery, owner kept it on a tender. I got it, left it off the tender for 2 days, and battery dropped to 12.3V, good crank, no start. On the tender for 2hr, started fine. Had a LiPo ordered and dropped that in, started fine.

2. On other forums this comes up constantly. Someone buys bike, it's 4 or more years old and has starting issues, but "ran great when the bought it". 90% of the time it's the battery and the prior owner constantly had it on a tender, but off a tender for a few days it goes flat.

So, anyone that has starting issues, on a bike with either a brand new battery or one that is more than a few years old, should first see if they have >12.6V at the battery (higher for LiPo) and know how to do a voltage drop test. It's the quickest check to do.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX 250 s not starting, but electric start works fine...