2008 KLX250S starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Default 2008 KLX250S starting problem?

Hi all I just got a 2008 KLX250s for my 18th birthday ( has just been fully serviced costed like $600) rode it on my birthday for 5-10 minutes put it away started it the next day for a nice ride I let it idle for a minute or 2 pulled off the choke took off and 2 minutes later it was cutting out on me and died (recharged the battery and fuel was a very low to begin with so I put a full tank in) and now it just idles and I go to take off and it just cuts out as if it’s getting flooded. Starts idling at 2k revs and works it’s way up to 5k revs I let it idle around that for a minute or so then pull out the choke and idles at 1.5k revs just fine but I can’t take off any suggestions? Most likely gonna take it back to a kx store for another service or something thanks

Old 04-27-2020, 04:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

"Fully serviced for $600"...what the heck did they do? How serious and what kind of work was done at that price? The common rule is that you always go back to the last thing that was repaired or worked on when a problem arises. Tell us what they did at the shop and why it was being worked on to begin with.

On the surface it sounds carb related, but some history on the bike would be helpful...sitting for long time when you bought it?...already had a mechanical issue before you bought it?...how many miles?...etc.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Okay so it had done roughly 3300km was sitting in a barn for awhile from what I was told and sorry that also included labour and parts sorry for the misinterpretation

I believe this is what was checked whilst it was at the shop

Okay so this is what was done to the bike when it was serviced

Old 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If it's been sitting in a barn for 10 years, you need to have the carb removed, cleaned, reinstalled and tested. That should have been the #1 thing on the list, followed closely by new gas/oil/coolant/lube all moving bushings/parts.
I would get a spray can of oil of dry lube or light oil, spray every moving joint, before every ride for about 5 rides, then you can wash it, by hand, no spray wash!

Old 04-28-2020, 02:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I see no mention of the service including removing and thoroughly cleaning the carb. Sitting that long absolutely requires this as fuel has plugged the pilot circuit and probably other elements in the carb. That first part of your work order just looks generic and doesn't really indicate much. Any shop knows this is required for a bike that sat this long.

Also, did they give you the wrong spark plug? Shouldn't it be an "8" heat range? I thought the NGK CR8E was standard. I use an Iridium plug in mine, and it's an "8" heat range, not a "9" which is colder.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Plug

Like said... Plug should be a 8
I run a Iridium NGK CR8EIX

Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 AM

Okay so I pulled the carby apart the main jet was blocked cleaned it out with carby cleaner and Tried to put in a video of it idling and me reviving it but it’s got a lot of “pops” even when idling it and still have the problem when it’s off choke barely gets to 3k revs before dropping out. Could still be running lean but I might try using some premium fuel and siphoning the rest out and see how that goes as I was looking around that night also fix it. Not too sure I’ll try and keep you guys updated

Last edited by Hayden Jannke; 05-19-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

You are going to have to clean several other components of the main fueling system before your bike will run right.
As long as the bike starts and idles well (at 1200 - 1300 RPM) your pilot system is working properly. But it probably won't take long for it to start failing as well..

Items to clean:
Pilot jet, all pilot system circuits (with fuel screw removed), especially the transfer ports.
Main jet, emulsion tube, all primary fueling circuits once main jet, emulsion tube, and needle jet have been removed.
Float level must be checked.
The Inline stock fuel filter must be checked.

Then the carb must be reassembled correctly - especially the diaphragm system.

An additional fuel filter should be fitted to catch rust/debris carried in the fuel from inside the tank.