2007 KLX 250s mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Default 2007 KLX 250s mods

Good day, and saying hello from Texas.
Just bought this low mileage bike after getting into a spot with my v-strom where I thought dang i am here by myself and if the bike tips over I am stuck. So found this well maintained low mileage KLX for my off-road adventures. Had to compare this to the XT250 and the Honda. The KLX is a bit taller in the saddle but offered price point and is barely used(625 miles). So now the question are there any recommended mods? I think my first mod will be a lowering link to drop an inch or so. Are the adjustable ones better?
In order of priority?
Lowering Link
Exhaust
Carb
Larger tank
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grsa; 11-22-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

You could just cut the seat foam down. I believe seat concepts offers this https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/...-08-klx250-300 in a low option. What part of Texas are you in and welcome to the nut house.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the idea about shaving the seat. That may be a good opt-in and not affect geometry.
In Katy texas yourself

Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 PM
LFR
1st Gear Member

I have the Seat Concepts seat on my '06, unbelievably comfortable if your going to be on the bike longer than 30 min. Also, I've got the Clarke 2.7gal tank on mine and it definitely helps with the range anxiety that I used to have, plus you can always sell your oem tank on ebay and recover a bit of the money. I'd read up on KLXster's posts about jetting to get the right combo that would work for you, he's taken pretty much all the guess work out of it.
I have a set of lowering links (not sure exactly how much they lower the bike, I'll check when I get home). I traded my OEM links with my buddy and now that I've swapped over to 17" rims it's a bit too low for me. If you want, I'd be willing to swap links with you.

Other than that, I would check the coolant, brake fluid, etc. because if it's been ridden that little I would doubt those have been changed. Also, I'd look into getting new tires, as the ones on there might be too old and dry rotted at this point if they're the original tires.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default mods

Originally Posted by LFR
I have the Seat Concepts seat on my '06, unbelievably comfortable if your going to be on the bike longer than 30 min. Also, I've got the Clarke 2.7gal tank on mine and it definitely helps with the range anxiety that I used to have, plus you can always sell your oem tank on ebay and recover a bit of the money. I'd read up on KLXster's posts about jetting to get the right combo that would work for you, he's taken pretty much all the guess work out of it.
I have a set of lowering links (not sure exactly how much they lower the bike, I'll check when I get home). I traded my OEM links with my buddy and now that I've swapped over to 17" rims it's a bit too low for me. If you want, I'd be willing to swap links with you.

Other than that, I would check the coolant, brake fluid, etc. because if it's been ridden that little I would doubt those have been changed. Also, I'd look into getting new tires, as the ones on there might be too old and dry rotted at this point if they're the original tires.
Good advice , What is a Pilot Power 2ct ? thanks. I have adjustable links so I could figure out the sweet spot , But your right it does mess with the geometry Original poster ,If your not ridding crazy you should be ok dropping it about 1" and lowering the forks a bit. I have some stock links if you need them.. custom exhaust ,proper jetting , lidless really wakes up the bike!

Last edited by donA; 11-22-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:43 PM
LFR
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by donA
Good advice , What is a Pilot Power 2ct ? thanks. I have adjustable links so I could figure out the sweet spot , But your right it does mess with the geometry Original poster ,If your not ridding crazy you should be ok dropping it about 1" and lowering the forks a bit. I have some stock links if you need them.. custom exhaust ,proper jetting , lidless really wakes up the bike!
2CTs are street tires, I swapped mine over to supermoto trim this past spring. The lowering links were great when I still had the 21" front and 19" rear, however now that I'm on 17s the bike is almost too low for my taste and stands almost vertical when on the kickstand and I have to be careful where I park.
Name:  IrxmNOo.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  906.6 KB

If your offering the oem links to me then just shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default mods

Originally Posted by LFR
2CTs are street tires, I swapped mine over to supermoto trim this past spring. The lowering links were great when I still had the 21" front and 19" rear, however now that I'm on 17s the bike is almost too low for my taste and stands almost vertical when on the kickstand and I have to be careful where I park.

If your offering the oem links to me then just shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.
That is a sweet looking bike! I have a 2010 SF Our bikes are very similar in mods ,Those tires look good .. You probably should cut some length out of your stand ,my stock stand is 11'' center of bolt to ground. It's just a matter of time before it goes over I'm running Kenda's 270's, I still have the links dropped 1." My Seat Concepts seat is tall, Sorry to original poster for hijacking your thread , Do your self a favor and check out KLSTR's thread on re jetting, needles, air box mod's etc . As LFR suggested ,He has a recipe for your elevation etc, Like I said, night and day difference , Also maybe a skid pan and tail rack, tail bag , pegs, some handguards new bars and risers ,Welcome by the way ..

Last edited by donA; 11-22-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Your in Katy I'm right around the corner from you in Rosenberg. As far as gas tanks there's everything from Acerbis at 3.7 gals to Clarke at 2.7 gals and all else inbetween. Justgastanks.com usually has everything in stock. Let me know if you could use a hand turning wrenches.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
Your in Katy I'm right around the corner from you in Rosenberg. As far as gas tanks there's everything from Acerbis at 3.7 gals to Clarke at 2.7 gals and all else inbetween. Justgastanks.com usually has everything in stock. Let me know if you could use a hand turning wrenches.
IMS makes a nice tank as well, 3 gallons

Old 11-23-2017, 02:33 AM

Lots of great advice here so thanks to all that replied. Really like the supermoto look and may have to think about getting the 17 inch rims.
From what i gather in the responses i have several places to start looking at doing some mods. On the links, I probably will need to ride it for a bit and see if it settles down, I know my dl650 did, but that was a few inches lower too.
Regarding tanks, i may also look at the rotopax as well.
Will keep you all posted on what transpires. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving, don't OD on the tryptophan.

Last edited by grsa; 11-23-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 KLX 250s mods