2007 or 2009?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

they put spacers in the forks? wtf.....

Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

If it is a case of linkage and spacers, why is the seat height the same as the older model?
Is the foam thicker?
has the frame been redesigned to make it higher?
I like the fact that the 09 can be made to have just as much travel. Is the fork and shock the same?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I'm skeptical of that theory that all you have to do is remove the spacers and wala, you've got more travel. And with that, the bike would sit weird with the front way higher as it has more travel than the rear to begin with.
the seat is totally different which I think has something to do with the same height even though it has less travel.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
I'm skeptical of that theory that all you have to do is remove the spacers and wala, you've got more travel. And with that, the bike would sit weird with the front way higher as it has more travel than the rear to begin with.
the seat is totally different which I think has something to do with the same height even though it has less travel.
Quote: Speedyjim.
"stock fork spring is 416 mm free length, 38mm OD (very odd length - short). Stock dogbones lower rear by using a 119.5 mm link.

You can get back your pre 09 suspension travel by installing 117 mm dogbones off earlier model at rear and remove spacers in cartridge of forks and use the 460 mm springs. Obviously your seat height will rise."
Probably makes more sense now.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

You could then get an 06 seat

Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Quote: Speedyjim.
"stock fork spring is 416 mm free length, 38mm OD (very odd length - short). Stock dogbones lower rear by using a 119.5 mm link.

You can get back your pre 09 suspension travel by installing 117 mm dogbones off earlier model at rear and remove spacers in cartridge of forks and use the 460 mm springs. Obviously your seat height will rise."
Probably makes more sense now.
okay, we're really onto something here and it makes perfect logical sense, at least for the rear suspension part of it. I'll be honest and claim ignorance, but could you please put all of your knowledge in this subject into better understood wording? I am all over this as I personally do not like how the '09 looks lowered a bit from the factory but it makes perfect sense- they just installed lowering links at the factory to bring down the height.
so you're saying if I got it right- I need the '06/'07 stock lower linkage and some oem or better yet, aftermarket '06/'07 fork springs and remove this 'spacer' that kawi inserted in the forks and I'll have the same travel as the old model? please let me know if I'm off. I think that if some '09 owners knew this, they'd be all over it.
I have never delved into my KLX forks, but I did my sportster forks when I installed the lowering kit in it. You just unscrew the top cap off, dump the oil out and change out the springs, pour oil back in and put cap back on. I can't imagine how sweet the red '09 would look with the increased travel. I wish nobrakes would comment on the achievability of this. I need a second opinion to verify this would work.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Of coarse this is how the factory has lowered the bike - do you think they would bother using different parts (and who makes forks with that travel anyway!). Very logical.....

The spacers are in the cartridge, they are not at the top of the spring (because that just preloads the spring of coarse and does nothing to reduce travel) - It is actually the correct way to lower a fork and I had it done on many supermotards I owned in the past. So unless you are good at tinkering its best to leave that bit to your local suspension guy. So in summary to get back your travel:

Remove (or cut down to desired legth) the spacer in the bottom of the fork (at cartidge - it seasy to see it when you fully remove the internals), install the pre 09 spring (460 mm 38 mm OD racetech will do - 0.44 kg/mm for me at 82 kg is perfect).
Add 10 wt oil betwen 115-100 mm from top of fork without spring and fork fully compressed. Compression 6-9 clicks out work sgood.
Unbolt stock 119.5 mm dogbones, install 117 mm dogbones. They are marked as such from factory.
Revalving is always going to be worth it as well while you are there.

Im not sure on teh whole seat hieght thing as my bike definately feels lower sitting on it than a klx300 I rode a while ago, but I dont have it available to really compare. The seat foam does look a bit tall and you could get an aftermarket lower seat foam.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedyjim
09 model handles reall well on road, but reduced travel lets it down. easy fix to remove spacers in the fork and use a 117mm dogbone off earlier models rather than the 119 mm stock one, and you have full travel again.
thanks.

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 11-27-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedyjim
Of coarse this is how the factory has lowered the bike - do you think they would bother using different parts (and who makes forks with that travel anyway!). Very logical.....

The spacers are in the cartridge, they are not at the top of the spring (because that just preloads the spring of coarse and does nothing to reduce travel) - It is actually the correct way to lower a fork and I had it done on many supermotards I owned in the past. So unless you are good at tinkering its best to leave that bit to your local suspension guy. So in summary to get back your travel:

Remove (or cut down to desired legth) the spacer in the bottom of the fork (at cartidge - it seasy to see it when you fully remove the internals), install the pre 09 spring (460 mm 38 mm OD racetech will do - 0.44 kg/mm for me at 82 kg is perfect).
Add 10 wt oil betwen 115-100 mm from top of fork without spring and fork fully compressed. Compression 6-9 clicks out work sgood.
Unbolt stock 119.5 mm dogbones, install 117 mm dogbones. They are marked as such from factory.
Revalving is always going to be worth it as well while you are there.

Im not sure on teh whole seat hieght thing as my bike definately feels lower sitting on it than a klx300 I rode a while ago, but I dont have it available to really compare. The seat foam does look a bit tall and you could get an aftermarket lower seat foam.
revalving is not necessary as the bike has just over 1000 miles or so. the spacer is in the cartridge you say. Won't it just fall out after you remove the springs and oil if you dump the fork upside down? or is harder to get to? I'm pretty good at tinkering if I know the path I'm supposed to take. I'm only around 150lbs. so would the springs you recommended be too stiff?

Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I just looked at the parts diagram for the '09 fork at kawasaki.com, and did not see any spacer. can you see it or point it out?

Quick Reply: 2007 or 2009?????