'09 KLX250S Noob questions...Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Default '09 KLX250S Noob questions...Help

Hi all.
Nice forum.
Just picked up an '09 on monday.

Promised the wife no major farkles first year.
except skid, Bark-busters etc. (lets be resonable here)

Breakin her in. 100mile mark and she's starting to tug nice.

Questions:

Q1: I pulled the snorkle. How much out on the fuel screw? And do I need to shim the needle?
It feels a tad lean now but better than before.

Q2: How far can I go with the stock can? i.e. airbox chop?

Q3: The ?stator? wires run into the engine in a very exposed place at the top front of the engine case on the shifter side.
As far as I see there will be poor protection there (above skid plate)for branchs toshear etc. Does anyone sell nylon blocks or anything else to cover?

Q4: (Rant) What Kawi engineer decided to put the horn right there?

Thanks,

-pauley

Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '09 KLX250S Noob questions...Help

welcome to KF

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You mean the horn button? Heh .. I'm after trying to start the bike a few times with the horn .. never works though.

Another thing to be aware of, especially if your bike will sit for long periods of time between uses: these bikes are a pain to start after they have sat for a while (I'm thinking for over a week or so). Mine was sat for just over 3 weeks and damn near killed the battery trying to get it restarted.

I had read (after storing the bike) a thread on here saying an easy fix for this is to shut off the fuel and let the bike empty the bowl until it shuts off on its own. Then, when you're ready to ride again, turn the fuel on, wait for about 10 mintues or so and she should start right up. I haven't tested this part yet, but when I put the bike back away this time, I turned off the fuel and let her run out. Time will tell I guess.

Congrats on the new ride. Loving mine so far.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM

No the physical horn. hangs down under the Lt radiator. Chunked off.
Stabil or other fuel stabiliser should work for that too.
Also what level of fuel are guys running w/o performance lag. regular medium or high-test?

Re-Jetting question also: Sea Level.

-pauley

p.s. thanks for the welcome.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea but who wants to have to put in an additive every time you fill up. Because if you don't put it in and run the bike enough for the stuff to get into the carb, what is left in the bowl is toast after a week. Oh and welcome Pauley, you have indeed stumbled onto the premier website for the KLX 250S, I have the shutdown procedure in here somewhere, or I can dig it up somewhere if you're interested. I run the lowest grade fuel, and it is a rocket, But I use that term with the KLX loosely after riding the DRZ 400 a few weeks ago.[8D] I'm at 300 ft and have the bike jetted at 132 and 40 and full muzzy, no air box lid. The bike is flawless and has been for the last 7700 miles.

If you think the horn placement was less than Kawi's best idea, wait until you change oil and you get to mess with the spring behind the filter.[:@] But you learn to deal with it using grease or tweaking the spring. Have fun, and post some pics and ride reports when you get a chance.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NL_KLX250

You mean the horn button? Heh .. I'm after trying to start the bike a few times with the horn .. never works though.

Another thing to be aware of, especially if your bike will sit for long periods of time between uses: these bikes are a pain to start after they have sat for a while (I'm thinking for over a week or so). Mine was sat for just over 3 weeks and damn near killed the battery trying to get it restarted.

I had read (after storing the bike) a thread on here saying an easy fix for this is to shut off the fuel and let the bike empty the bowl until it shuts off on its own. Then, when you're ready to ride again, turn the fuel on, wait for about 10 mintues or so and she should start right up. I haven't tested this part yet, but when I put the bike back away this time, I turned off the fuel and let her run out. Time will tell I guess.

Congrats on the new ride. Loving mine so far.
You meant 10 seconds, because even I'm not waiting for 10 minutes.[8D] Sorry I had to.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

It doesn't get any simpler than this.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

You meant 10 seconds, because even I'm not waiting for 10 minutes.[8D] Sorry I had to.
I knew it was 10 somethings .. LOL

Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

man, I really feel sorry for you guys that have to go thru that procedure just to ride. I've owned an '06 and the '09. The '06 WAS a bear to start at times when it sat, actually cranking for like a minute or so. But the '09 is like a sewing machine. I pull the choke, hit the starter and it immediately starts to a high idle. I then immediately turn the choke off and it idles at 1500 perfectly. Once you get the jetting correct, you shouldn't have to go thru this whole process so many of you have adopted. Gas does not go bad in a week or even a month. From refinery to burning in your engine is a lot longer than that. The '09 requires premium fuel btw, check on the backside of your left side cover for proof. I have a full Muzzy and dynojet needle and either I got my jetting perfect or you guys' are messed up. I'm still burning gas in my Honda mower that has sat in the can since last fall and it starts on the first pull every time like clockwork. I don't believe in the bad gas theory. The '09 has changes to the carb settings, that has helped things.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Travis, I was just about to send out a search party for you. I haven't seen you on for a couple of weeks and I was getting worried. Were you affected by the flooding where you live? I hope all is well there.

Quick Reply: '09 KLX250S Noob questions...Help