Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I have one of those.

Didn't do anything for me.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
I came to the realization at the end of this very long day today, that I need to look for a softer seat for this thing.

My butt is killing me....
I was just going to start a thread, looking for a seat cushion. Can anyone recommend one that I can quickly remove after riding slab to the trails. Sorry for the thread jack

Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts
I was just going to start a thread, looking for a seat cushion. Can anyone recommend one that I can quickly remove after riding slab to the trails. Sorry for the thread jack
Sheepskin.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Sheepskin.
You know...I used to laugh at this idea, but one day I bought a sheepskin seat cover for a Gold Wing that had a fairly decent saddle as delivered. I was quite surprised how comfortable it made the ride on my hiney. As time went on, I think it may not just have been the added softness but also some better breathing for the skin. On rides and temps where I'd normally get off the bike and find my rear end to be a bit damp from sweating, instead I was usually always dry except on the worst days of 100 degree range temps. I think the body is more proned to sweating against vinyl or leather as compared to having an insulated layer sandwiched in there. Not sure of the science involved, but it sure made things more comfortable.

Now I'm not sure how this would work on the KLX, but probably some of the same comfort issues are at work there. The KLX saddle on my '06 really doesn't bother me, but I don't travel or commute on pavement for long periods with it, and when I do lengthy rides off road, I'm moving around to much for it to be an issue. It's more comfortable to me than any of the 4 KLR600/650's I've owned which surprises me a bit. I think the KLR saddle is too soft and too wide.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Corbin has one now for 09's anyhow. About $380.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

To the OP's question the 13 tooth front sproctet is probably the best first mod, it dosen't change anything about the bike but move the power down a little. It won't go quite as fast on top end but it gets to top speed faster. This can be done with your stock chain so all you buy is the sprocket and put it on. The nut that holds it has a washer bent over it that you have to unbend and it takes a good air wrench to then get the nut off as it's tight, then loosen your chain and install the new sprocket in reverse order. I didn't have to remove the chain just loosen it up and retighten it when done. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the end of the stock exhaust but like a previous poster said it don't do much, but it was a small gain for free. The slip-on exhaust is where my motor started to come alive and the jetting was the iceing on the cake.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brownie2
Corbin has one now for 09's anyhow. About $380.
Those seats look nice. Does anyone on these forums have one?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts
Those seats look nice. Does anyone on these forums have one?
I do. It's just a bit wider than stock, and firm...not squishy like the KLR650 seat. Fits me great! The stock seat width was too narrow for my sit-bones.

I MAY put a thin sheep-skin on it for a Barstow-Las Vegas all-day dual-sport ride coming up at the end of the month, but, I would be OK without it. I agree that airflow allowed by sheepskin-type covers is a very good idea for increasing comfort.

BTW, I bought mine through a local shop, and only paid 285.00 after my usual discount. Nice to have friends in the business!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I do. It's just a bit wider than stock, and firm...not squishy like the KLR650 seat. Fits me great! The stock seat width was too narrow for my sit-bones.

I MAY put a thin sheep-skin on it for a Barstow-Las Vegas all-day dual-sport ride coming up at the end of the month, but, I would be OK without it. I agree that airflow allowed by sheepskin-type covers is a very good idea for increasing comfort.

BTW, I bought mine through a local shop, and only paid 285.00 after my usual discount. Nice to have friends in the business!
The list price of the seat may be a little expensive for me. On the other hand, if it allows me to ride for more than a couple of hours maybe it is worth it. These are only $45 and maybe worth a try. http://www.eglifarm.com/product_info...products_id=52