'07 KLX250s wobbling at highway speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88
Whenever I take my bike above 65mph on the freeway, it wobbles a lot. It feels as if the bike is going to wash out from under me at any given moment. The only way I'm able to combat this is by firmly holding the handlebars straight. I brought this issue up to a fellow rider and he suggested I just commute on the surface streets because a single cylinder 250 isn't quite highway material, but I have a fairly long commute to work and I must take the freeway.

What could be the cause? I'm thinking...

- I'm 5'8" and only 130lbs.

- Wheels not balanced properly.

- Stock tires suck?

Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bro posture on the bike and where you sit on the seat (forward or back or inbetween) plays a huge role.
Plus if your bike sags big at speed regardless of compression or damping the resulting "lifted forks" may cause wobble due to riding at the top of travel constantly and then dropping back down as your momentum changes. With all respect 130 lbs on a 5'8" frame is not a lot of mass to bash away wind at 60+ mph and if your riding with a motocross helmet the wind will toss your head around a bit and your body will want to compensate.

So check your suspension settings. Check that your bike is balanced front to rear for your style of riding. Maybe sit up against the tank like its your girlfriend so your centered on the bike front to back, remove the beak from your helmet if you have one. I have seen my fender flap around, I just ignore it but it may be a bigger force to your 130 lbs at speed so maybe a stiffer or different shaped fender, heck man a windshield would be great if your commuting 5 days a week. Eat your Wheaties and lift some weights to combat that wind pressure at 65 mph.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I have noticed the front fender going crazy while at highway speeds. Perhaps it's time for a more aerodynamic one. Can someone send me a link to a stiffer front fender?

I do hump the gas tank when I ride.

I will stiffen up my suspension, also. I commute the 5 freeway and we all know how crappy the pavement is on it.

Oh, and no offense on the weight comment. I almost weighed 200lbs over a year ago. I dropped 70lbs just by eating healthy. I ought to be the new Jared from Subway!

Anyways, I'll take the bike into a shop to have the wheel balance checked soon.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow BP!! That is some 5 dollar foot long for sure. Way to go on the weight loss. I have to eat as much pizza burgers and beer as possible to not wilt away.

Jared is played out and due for a colonoscopy soon. And someone on a Klx would make a great new series. I can picture it- you ride hard and then eat hard and then somehow strap a sloppy meatball footlong on your rackless bike and ride home. Oh thats right they make racks for your bike.

Sheet!! Next time im out riding in the cold im going to pull out the packing and stuff a foot long Philly & Swiss in my muzzy and cook it up while I ride.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88
I have noticed the front fender going crazy while at highway speeds. Perhaps it's time for a more aerodynamic one. Can someone send me a link to a stiffer front fender?

I do hump the gas tank when I ride.

I will stiffen up my suspension, also. I commute the 5 freeway and we all know how crappy the pavement is on it.

Oh, and no offense on the weight comment. I almost weighed 200lbs over a year ago. I dropped 70lbs just by eating healthy. I ought to be the new Jared from Subway!

Anyways, I'll take the bike into a shop to have the wheel balance checked soon.
How tall are you? 130 lbs is pretty light... If you're going pretty fast and wobbling get your but to the rear of the seat.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
How tall are you? 130 lbs is pretty light... If you're going pretty fast and wobbling get your but to the rear of the seat.
I'm 5'8", so around average height. I did try sitting towards the rear of the seat today while commuting on the freeway and it did help a little. I also ride a Ninja 250 and let's just say someone has done 110mph on it on the highway and never experienced any wobbling.

Can someone link me to a harder front fender?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it, mate.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The fender change looks like a very good idea. I'm going to make this change. Thanks for the thread and the link!

Bill offers a steering damper kit for the KLX. The one qualifier is it cannot clear the stock headlite. The UFO headlite conversion does allow his steering stabilizer kit to fit. He and JoAnn have them on their bikes.

We live in about the windiest state in the USA, and cranking in some damper on a highway run in the wind...my gosh what a difference.

Another issue has to do with the UFO headlite. They are not as bright as the stocker.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you need to weight the front wheel more to combat the wobbles, raise the forks in the triple clamps 1/4 - 1/2" see if it helps.

Check out BRPmoto dot com. They are close to where your at. Scotts stabilizer is a bolt on mod IIRC.

Last edited by RaceGass; 12-13-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I figured out my problem...

Last night I tried checking my tire pressure at a gas station. The rear one was at 22psi, good to go, but then I tried checking the front tire and the valve core was stuck in place and would not read.

Now earlier this morning on my way to work my front tire just totally deflated all of a sudden. I stopped at a gas station and someone was nice enough to loan me a valve core remover and a new valve core. I took the old one out and it was caked with that green leak sealer goo. I replaced the valve core and tried filling my tires up again, but there's a really bad leak at the valve stem where it connects with the inner-tube. I ended up having to push my bike down the sidewalk two blocks to my work and had my father pick it up and take it home with his truck. Long story short, I'm pretty sure my front tire pressure was really low to begin with.

Anyways, I bought the new tube and we'll be replacing it tonight and making sure the bike is at 22psi, front and rear. Hopefully this solves my wobbling issues for the most part.

Quick Reply: '07 KLX250s wobbling at highway speeds??