'07 KLX250s wobbling at highway speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default '07 KLX250s wobbling at highway speeds??

Whenever I take my bike above 65mph on the freeway, it wobbles a lot. It feels as if the bike is going to wash out from under me at any given moment. The only way I'm able to combat this is by firmly holding the handlebars straight. I brought this issue up to a fellow rider and he suggested I just commute on the surface streets because a single cylinder 250 isn't quite highway material, but I have a fairly long commute to work and I must take the freeway.

What could be the cause? I'm thinking...

- I'm 5'8" and only 130lbs.

- Wheels not balanced properly.

- Stock tires suck?

Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Things to check:

Tyre pressures too low?
Rear wheel centred incorrectly on swing arm, ie out of alignment?
Wheel balancing, are they running true or do you need spoke adjustment/tightening?
Unevenly worn tyres?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input Paladin.

What tire pressures should I be running on this bike for everyday street use?

I'll take the bike to a shop to check for the alignment issues and wheel balancing.

Tires are in good shape.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Wobble is mostly due to turbulence created by other vehicles around you on the highway. Get some lower profile mirrors, balancing the wheels might help. I take the highway quite a bit in a 65mph zone for part of my commute. The bikes are just lightweight for the street. Stay in the furthest right lane, adjust your position on the seat. Alot of little things will help so you'll have to figure out what works best for you. You get used to the turbulence after time. Good luck.

Mike

Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88

I'll take the bike to a shop to check for the alignment issues and wheel balancing.

Tires are in good shape.
Try 30 PSI front & rear for highway use. 22 PSI for everyday use. 16 PSI for off road trips.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM

I thought I read on these forums that due to the softness of the front fender it is very susceptible to movement at higher speeds (more wind). I ride my KLX on the interstate and I experience the same thing at times. Isn't that why there is such a thing as a supermoto front fender, they are made of a harder plastic and don't warp at high speeds?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Im 5'11'' 150 and the only time I had a wobble is when I tweaked the front rim a bit but I straightened it and all is good. I've hit almost 90mph with stock tires a set of Kendas and a non DOT front with a wheel lock all at 18 psi on a stock bike. Evev with the front fender dancing it still goes straight with no wobble . Mabey it's the stupid brush gaurds pushing the bars in high winds? I took mine off for the summer. You could try riding in a tuck position or slide back in the seat etc.

I helped a friends change tires and lower a Suzuki 650 dual sport and it would start to death wobble at 70mph but it was fine stock. I would have to guess the suspension change was the cause. Did you lower the bike or soften the suspension?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88

Tires are in good shape.
On cold tyres I run 22-24psi on normal road useage and 14-15psi offroad on the stock D605 tyres. Remember if you go too low on psi for offroad you get into the area where you may be needin rim locks!

I live in "Windy Welly" and I don't get wobble problems unless cornering with my tyres are in need of air, or I am going very hard on the bike and hit a very uneven patch of tarmac!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

acerbis fender!!!!!
Name:  stuff046.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  newbike006.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  168.3 KB

Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yossarian
I thought I read on these forums that due to the softness of the front fender it is very susceptible to movement at higher speeds (more wind). I ride my KLX on the interstate and I experience the same thing at times. Isn't that why there is such a thing as a supermoto front fender, they are made of a harder plastic and don't warp at high speeds?
Yup agreed....

I changed my front fender and never had a wobble since...

Rocco

Quick Reply: '07 KLX250s wobbling at highway speeds??