07 klx250s carby/jet question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

If you buy another carb you will be starting from square one again and if you want to use the dial a jet you may have the same issues, most of the people here either bought jets and a needle or a kit, stayed with the stock pilot and followed the instructions on the kit on in the forums and had good results. In my time here on this forum the dial a jet has had a few fans but not many.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
If you buy another carb you will be starting from square one again and if you want to use the dial a jet you may have the same issues, most of the people here either bought jets and a needle or a kit, stayed with the stock pilot and followed the instructions on the kit on in the forums and had good results. In my time here on this forum the dial a jet has had a few fans but not many.
I don't know...with the Mikuni pumper carbs that have been used by others on this forum and elsewhere, you're not really starting from scratch. As one who was skeptical of how big the benefits of the pumper carb are, I'd have to recommend it highly after running with one for the last couple of months. Bill Blue's modded TM33 into a TM34 is a bolt-on setup while the TM33 requires a little alteration, but not much. If you're going 300 displacement or bigger, the TM36 is basically a plug-and-play affair with all the jetting work that some other forum members did before. I installed mine with the basic jetting specs pounded out by some others and only had to fine tune one element of the carb for what appears to be just about perfection. Heck, I spent more time tweaking the OEM carb with the Dynojet and such. The TM36 is one of the easier carbs to work on.

On the other hand, the OEM carb jetting and mods are also pretty well hammered out. If you're having serious issues, maybe it not the carb and/or maybe it's not just jetting.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I was doing abit of ready and testing. The flat spots i speak off is where i got WOT and it hesitates then takes off. If i roll it on shes good as gold. So after some searching it was (guessed by me) the slide not working how fast i want it to. However it still could be a jet problem, i dont know. My mates say just run the stock carby with the mods, but wouldnt that be just as bad? They also suggest taking it to a bike shop. Scrap that idea as here to do anything to a bike we are looking to pay about 300% more then you.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

As someone who reads alot more than writes on this forum I see this alot as the op has no idea if they are rich or lean and they are making numerous changes in hopes of improvment with results that aren't what they looking for. I've seen alot of guys go to a pumper carb and sill have issues as once again as they don't know if it's rich or lean. That's why in a case like this I think a proven dynojet kit and a stock carb is the best place to start. But thats just me.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

TP, I'd ditch the dial-a-jet for now and go to a main jet and other jetting specs that we know would work pretty well right out of the box as proven by many others already using them. No knock on you, but I think you have to have some jetting experience/knowledge to start stepping off into something that's not so mainstream on the KLX like the DAJ. KLX678, Mark, uses the DAJ, but he's worked on bikes for many years and has a knowledge base to work through issues like you're encountering. Maybe it would be better to just use a Dynojet kit or similar setup that others are using with a pipe and mods like you have. Get it running right, and if you want to play with the DAJ later, jump in. Just like linkin is stating, if you can't tell if you're rich or lean, I'd suggest trying a more conventional approach with jetting we know will work.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Ill give it ago, considering its best to try out the cheaper options first. Can someone recommend sizing and/or info for buying the jets? The "mods" are: FMF Q4 slip on, twin air filter, KDX200 snorkel. After some reading also, it may also have the KLX300 air duct (box to cabry) instead of one like yours (thats how it came from factory here according to a US to AUS bike compares ion). Ill be riding in a broad range of temps from 20°C right up to about 50°C. And as everyone mentions elevation as well, the closest to my riding area is about 46M above sea level.
Also will this work? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki-...item4d014e0391 All the kits i find are for 09 and up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tri-Polar; 11-05-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks like that Sigma kit comes only with needle shims. One big benefit of the Dynojet kit is the more aggressive and adjustable needle.

Dynojet Jet Kits - Offering Motorcycle Jet Kits & ATV Jet Kits

I used the #2206 kit (spec'd for a KLX300) as the models for 2009+ KLX250 weren't available yet. This kit is tried and true in the 2006/2007 bikes, and has probably been used with success in the 2009+ models also. In my opinion, if you ever think you'll do a big bore, get the #2206. If no big bore, either the 2152 or 2206 should work fine.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Judging by the link you provided, the 2152 is better suited.
"STAGE 2
For mildly tuned machines using stock airbox with intake
snorkel removed, with the stock or K&N filter.
Both stages may be used with a good aftermarket exhaust"

However you said 2206 is needed for the big bore, but also good for without it. Is this a typo?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tri-Polar
Judging by the link you provided, the 2152 is better suited.
"STAGE 2
For mildly tuned machines using stock airbox with intake
snorkel removed, with the stock or K&N filter.
Both stages may be used with a good aftermarket exhaust"

However you said 2206 is needed for the big bore, but also good for without it. Is this a typo?
The 2206 works just fine with every setup I've seen...stock to wild. As long as you get the needle clip, pilot jet, and main jet set up right for your bike, it will work fine. There are members on this forum who have their bike set up almost identically to yours, so you shouldn't have to stumble around in the dark on the jetting. The 2152 will work fine too, but 2206 will allow you to move forward with more engine mods in the future perhaps.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Thad -
Do you think the OP probably wants some input from the other Aussie members with DJ kits to get things close on the first go? Seems those guys run much larger jets.

Quick Reply: 07 klx250s carby/jet question