06' KLX250s Jet/Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I used the copper colored silicone, it worked fine also. Follow fmf's directions. Clean the pipe at the joint. Assemble it using silicone, and the hardest part, let the silicone cure before firing up the bike. For jetting I went through KF and looked at every jetting thread, and everybodys signature and got a pretty good idea of where to start with my jetting. It turned out perfect on the first try. My settings are in my sig, just to help people out. I'm at 750 foot elevation. Definitely get some bark busters for the bars, you won't have to buy new levers after that. 49 tooth on the rear sounds high, but I'm running the stocker with the 13tooth up front. Just try the 13t up front, see if you like it. Dig around on here, you can find about everything. Dan

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

If it were me (it was!) I wouldn't mess with the slip on. Do both, or don't do it.. At least that's my philosophy

Picture this - Open your mouth wide and exhale - air comes out with no effort.. Now put a straw in your mouth and exhale at the same speed.. Hard to do, right? Now put a paper towel tube up to your mouth and do the same thing... Catch my drift?!

Just pony up and get the full exhaust - you won't be sorry.

Also, for the jetting, just buy the FMF or DJ jet kit and it will have instructions in there on a good base for the jetting with your mods and altitude.

I would also NOT suggest bringing it to the dealer to get the jet replaced. It takes like an hour to do yourself the first time. After you've done it once, it will take 30 mins to swap. If you have a philip's tip screwdriver, an 8mm socket, and are smarter than a chimpanzee you can do it yourself. Plus you'll save the $$$ you would have paid the dealer, and you can get your header pipe with that

PLUS you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you can work on your bike and not have to rely on the idiots at the dealership

Ride on.

Last edited by CousinLarry; 06-25-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Cousinlarry~

Unfortunately, I'm married, and need to do things in "stages." It's easier to ask for a few hundred bucks a few times, rather than ask for one big lump sum...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh man, you're doing it wrong then

I'm married too. The day I asked the wifey if I could spend money is the day that I wear the panties.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Unfortunately, I'm married, and need to do things in "stages." It's easier to ask for a few hundred bucks a few times, rather than ask for one big lump sum...
I find its easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

always a good policy! worked well for me so far

Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I used the copper colored silicone, it worked fine also. Follow fmf's directions. Clean the pipe at the joint. Assemble it using silicone, and the hardest part, let the silicone cure before firing up the bike. For jetting I went through KF and looked at every jetting thread, and everybodys signature and got a pretty good idea of where to start with my jetting. It turned out perfect on the first try. My settings are in my sig, just to help people out. I'm at 750 foot elevation. Definitely get some bark busters for the bars, you won't have to buy new levers after that. 49 tooth on the rear sounds high, but I'm running the stocker with the 13tooth up front. Just try the 13t up front, see if you like it. Dig around on here, you can find about everything. Dan

Great info Dan, I may PM you once I get to the nitty-gritty

Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
If it were me (it was!) I wouldn't mess with the slip on. Do both, or don't do it.. At least that's my philosophy

Picture this - Open your mouth wide and exhale - air comes out with no effort.. Now put a straw in your mouth and exhale at the same speed.. Hard to do, right? Now put a paper towel tube up to your mouth and do the same thing... Catch my drift?!

Just pony up and get the full exhaust - you won't be sorry.

Also, for the jetting, just buy the FMF or DJ jet kit and it will have instructions in there on a good base for the jetting with your mods and altitude.

I would also NOT suggest bringing it to the dealer to get the jet replaced. It takes like an hour to do yourself the first time. After you've done it once, it will take 30 mins to swap. If you have a philip's tip screwdriver, an 8mm socket, and are smarter than a chimpanzee you can do it yourself. Plus you'll save the $$$ you would have paid the dealer, and you can get your header pipe with that

PLUS you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you can work on your bike and not have to rely on the idiots at the dealership

Ride on.
Thanks for the info Larry!

Do you recal how much you dropped on this?

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but Im sketchy on tearing into the carb. I would probably need someone at least semi-experienced close by. Theres no substitute for real hands on experieince.

btw, I work on $10k-$120k plotter/print/copy machines I have no idea why Im so afraid of working on my bikes (Oh yea, my company has invested countless hours and time on training me ) LOL

I love the free forums of the world!!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Cousinlarry~

I feel ya on the stages

Although on top of being married, I have two young boys who we spend close to what 4-5 fully kitted KLX's would cost a year

And Im gonna have to get them a bike pretty soon

Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubl-A
btw, I work on $10k-$120k plotter/print/copy machines I have no idea why Im so afraid of working on my bikes (Oh yea, my company has invested countless hours and time on training me )
Much easier when it ain't yours.
Just ask my mates.
They feel I reach for the hammer far too often when working on their bikes compared to when I'm working on mine.

Quick Reply: 06' KLX250s Jet/Exhaust upgrade