06' KLX250s Jet/Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Question 06' KLX250s Jet/Exhaust upgrade

Hello All,

Virgin post

Ive searched quite a bit on the upgrade options for my 06' and havent found too much solid info so I'll just ask what I cant find/dont understand here.

My KLX obviously needs to be opened up, ive already removed the snorkel and removed the butt plug (for now) and it seems to have helped a bit. I still need to do the crank case breather mod as well.

I do however want a jet kit installed on my carb and a new exhaust pretty soon to really let her breathe.

1). I live at 5-6k elevation and would ride to 7-8k occasionally, do I need a specific jet kit for this? If so which one/Part# do you recommend?

2). Ive read plenty on the slip-on -vs- full system exhaust and Im leaning towads a slip on, probably a HMF pipe, anyone have experience with these?

3). If I had a local dealer install the jet kit and exhaust, do they typically make sure all air/gas/etc mixtures are correct?

Sorry for sounding ignorant, im still trying to get my head around all this. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I didn't waste time on the "Free mods", no offense, but I just didn't want to screw up my own bike. Most of the owners out there have installed a full pipe, and jetting. Gear changes also made a great change to the power. I love the bike even more than the day I brought it home. Oh and welcome to the forums. Glad to have you aboard.

Jetting 132 & 40
Full Muzzy
Air box lid off
13-45 gears

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

I think you will find opening up the other end of the bike will help a lot. Tuning for the higher altitudes will help, too.

When I first picked up my '07 KLX 250, I found it was running a bit rich. (Based on the fuel smell from the exhaust and reading the plug.) I am at 5k feet, so I figured I'd need to factor in some leaning out as I tuned.

I started with a UNI filter and the short KDX snorkel. That improved things- no rich fuel smell, chocolate brown plug, but still some backfiring when backing out of the throttle.

I recently installed a FMF Q4 exhaust, and...wow. It improved the midrange incredibly, and I can feel more acceleration on take off. Pulling out of turns has improved greatly. (And it sounds awesome- at idle, it sounds like a helicopter hovering. At WOT, it's not too loud but does turn some heads!)

Now I am running a tad lean- no problem, I was planning on rejetting with the exhaust, anyway. I am doing it with factory Kawi parts: 125 main, 40 pilot, N1TC needle. I'll dial the fuel screw out 2 turns. I might try a 128 main instead and step up if needed, but it seems like I am just a bit lean right now and I don't want to overdo it.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

testify,

Did you install the full FMF? I just ordered the Q4 slip-on but won't have the $$ for the header for a while. I'm hoping to get some performance boost from just the slip-on. I've already re-jetted.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys, although I dont think I got an answer on my questions...

1). I live at 5-6k elevation and would ride to 7-8k occasionally, do I need a specific jet kit for this? If so which one/Part# do you recommend?

2). Ive read plenty on the slip-on -vs- full system exhaust and Im leaning towads a slip on, probably a HMF pipe, anyone have experience with these?

3). If I had a local dealer install the jet kit and exhaust, do they typically make sure all air/gas/etc mixtures are correct?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubl-A
Thanks for the replies guys, although I dont think I got an answer on my questions...

1. Yes, but i live in Australia and most of my riding is just above sea level. Maybe some US guys can be a bit more specific
2. Depending on your budget. I went with a slip on and it made a noticable difference but i haven't tried the full system to compare.
3. If you ask the dealer i'm sure they'd whack it on a gas mixture machine and tune it for you when doing the rejet.

Welcome and hope that helps

Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool,

I wonder if they typically charge for that mixture machine. Damn this **** is an expensive hobby

Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
testify,

Did you install the full FMF? I just ordered the Q4 slip-on but won't have the $$ for the header for a while. I'm hoping to get some performance boost from just the slip-on. I've already re-jetted.
Armycopter-

I just went with the Q4 slip-on. I couldn't justify the price of the P-Bomb header at this time.

I believe you will be pleased with the FMF slip on- I could tell an immediate difference on the butt-dyno. Definitely an improvement in power. I can't wait to get the jets on this weekend and see if it gets even better.

Make sure you pick up some high-temp silicone to seal the pipe to the header if you don't have any around.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by testify4
Armycopter-

I just went with the Q4 slip-on. I couldn't justify the price of the P-Bomb header at this time.

I believe you will be pleased with the FMF slip on- I could tell an immediate difference on the butt-dyno. Definitely an improvement in power. I can't wait to get the jets on this weekend and see if it gets even better.

Make sure you pick up some high-temp silicone to seal the pipe to the header if you don't have any around.

What jet kit are you going to run? What alt are you at? And last but not least, where do you get that high temp silicone?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubl-A
What jet kit are you going to run? What alt are you at? And last but not least, where do you get that high temp silicone?
I am going to run Kawasaki factory parts for the 40 pilot, 125 main and N1TC needle, collar and clamp.

125 main jet: 92063-1069
N1TC Needle jet: 16009-1912
Needle Collar: 92143-1667
Needle Jet Clamp: 92037-1401
40 pilot jet: 92064-1108

Parts were a under 30 bucks.

I might pick up a 128 while I am there, just in case it's leaner than I thought at WOT.

I am at 5,000 feet, some riding goes up to 7,000 when I go canyon cruising.

I picked up the high temp silicone at Autozone- any auto parts place should have some. There was a copper and a black silicone available; I went with the black. It sealed perfectly once it cured, so I am happy. I did a test fit without the silicone and there were small leaks around the collar.

Quick Reply: 06' KLX250s Jet/Exhaust upgrade