[Noob]Why supermoto rim?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Look up some supermoto on youtube. You'll find it's mixed between alot of pavement twisty's, pavement jumps, hard packed dirt jumps, and even some dirt twisty's. Just a cross between dirt and pavement.
If you were a person looking for an all around bike, one for street, and one for weekend dirt, but wanted to only buy 1 bike, then a GSX R wouldn't fit the bill very good would it? So they take dirt bikes and make em street bikes.
There are alot of other reasons why someone would go this style, but this is only 1 good reason.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i love the way it feels with the street tires

Last edited by barthel75; 10-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll find out mine goes with avons on thursday when they get mounted,gotta wait till the weekend to do the exhaust and jetting.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barthel75
i love the way it feels with the street tires
yeahh for now your setup is my idol

Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree that the smaller wheel size does better on street. My bike came stock with 17", and this thing turns like it's on rails. One other thing to note, the stock rear sprocket on yours is larger than mine, so that will lower your top speed on 17" wheels. My stock size is 39T, and I am about to move up to 15T in the front, for the increase in top speed. This will lower your RPM's at cruise, but will also make it a little slower starting from the traffic lights.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Athan!

If your money is a little tight after the motorcycle purchase, save up and get some new tires to replace the stock rubber from the factory. If you are not riding off road or on unpaved public roads, the various touring and adventure tires like you see on BMW and KTM's are good options. I have a set of Pirelli Scorpions to mount when I get done with my summertime off-road fun. In Australia and Africa, I see many reports of similar tires doing very well. With this style of tire, don't get into mud or sand unless you want to push or drag your motorcycle back to better soil and road conditions though.

Sid

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ok point taken.. thats exactly my plan for the bike so i still can save some money for the future ...

swap between road tire and OEM tire will suit my needs..

now its time for learn counter steering the bike

Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by athan
ok point taken.. thats exactly my plan for the bike so i still can save some money for the future ...

swap between road tire and OEM tire will suit my needs..

now its time for learn counter steering the bike
That sounds like a good plan, Athan.

You can save a lot of money that way if you still plan on using the bike off road. I have the 17" wheels/tires because that's the way I bought the bike (D-tracker, the factory supermotard version of the KLX250). As Kevin already said, the bike is more responsive to inputs and takes much less effort to lean if you have the smaller rims.

I realized, after 2 years of riding this bike, that I won't be doing any serious off road riding with it, so I'm going totally motard on the supsension as well. I have a kit coming from moto-pro. It's basically valving that is 4X firmer (front and rear) than motocross and springs that are firmer in front. The rebound will be slowed by 20% by the use of shims in the shock and 10wt fluid in the forks.

Again, this is not recommended if you plan to use the bike off road. Make sure you post a review and pics of the distanzas!

Ride-on

Old 08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

road here in jakarta-indonesia more or less looks like offroad... holes in the asphalt are something common to view here LOL.... and if you ever face traffic jam its so easy for a bike to take a shortcut, cause there's many in here... jakarta more like a maze you know.. plus theres a few flood area when it comes to rainy season.. so i think its match the spirit of dual sport bikes

the distanzia not too much difference like the avon roadriders that shown in the other thread.. and i think i cannot review the tires any sooner cause i still has to finish my one year credit of the bike (yesss its a expensive bike in here even in here you can eat rice+chicken+ice tea with just $1 hehe)

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Dean,

Let me know how that new setup handles. I am trying to find something similar, as I will never go off road, at least not on purpose. Also, how much are we talking for the total with shipping? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [Noob]Why supermoto rim?