[Noob]Why supermoto rim?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default [Noob]Why supermoto rim?

i just enter this world of offroad/dual purpose motor, before i used to take some 100cc matic scooter and its very borriiinggg...

now i'm find that street style motocrossing (is this the exact term )is very exciting to do but i dont get a few things about this supermoto idea.....

from reading this forum, i know that i have to take a few question regarding supermoto style especially for klx 250s..

why the front rim must be 17 or 18? why not use the OEM rim and use 21" street tire (like dunlop d607, avon distanzia etc)? is it give more stability or more speed maybe?

is there any necessary mod in suspension and brake for going to supermoto style (but for street use only not racing)?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Not a bad question at all. With the 17" rim the gyro effect for side to side pitching of the bike is much less and turning is very easy. When I put my 21" rim back on it's a really big difference. Also the 17" street tire selection is alot better,the ride quality and just the stickiness on the street is awesome.

There's a member right now switching his 100% street bike into a true motard suspension. I'm sure he'll help with this ? but its very firm valving, different springs and thicker oil. My 2 way bike is alittle different I still ride dirt so I'm not as firm bit have more of a motocross valve.

A Big front brake is more for brake fade and control because speeds are generally faster with this type of riding.

Kevin

Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

owhhh thx for your info..

how about top speed and wobble problem? isnt with 17" rim equals wider tire equals slower speed but more stable bike ...

could you or someone take this comparison and give me your opinion

21" rim + OEM tire = ?
21" rim + Street tire = ?
17" rim + Street tire = ?

thx thx and thc

Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh I thought this was going to be a question asking why someone would want to put street only tires on a dual sport bike. I've been asking myself that since the first time I saw it. But if that's what you're into then its awesome. Oh and welcome to the forums, did you not introduce yourself in the new members area? Unless I missed it, you might want to give a shout out the proper way so we don't miss the opportunity to say welcome.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,,, supermoto wheels pshhhhh lol just playing,,, They look cool but dirt feels better lol

Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Oh I thought this was going to be a question asking why someone would want to put street only tires on a dual sport bike. I've been asking myself that since the first time I saw it. But if that's what you're into then its awesome. Oh and welcome to the forums, did you not introduce yourself in the new members area? Unless I missed it, you might want to give a shout out the proper way so we don't miss the opportunity to say welcome.

i dint know that sorry, tommorow ill do that,right now is bed time in indonesia

yeah i hope somebody will give me more and more explanation about this .. i intend to install avon distanzia to my klx..

honestly im pretty crazy when buying this bike.. my first to third salary are completly vanished just to put some DP for the bike, but ITS THRILLING TO RIDE THIS THING eventough it just home-work-home LOL

and i must be insane if im going to full supermoto style

ps : sorry if theres any mistakes in my english

Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ahh man its all good,, we have people here from all over the world,, and yes they are fun little bikes and the supermoto setup does look cool, just not for me, I dont think lol.. and yes there is other people here that will be able to help you out more....

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

i just picked up a klx over a scooter (honda ruckus), very very glad i did. the gas mileage can come close if you ride right, you can take the freeway if you so choose, and i can actully keep up with my dad (vulcan 900 custom) and not make him sit in 1st gear the whole time. i might have payments for the next couple of years, but i know ill keep the bike that long and gas aint going down any time soon,

Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 punk,,,, and the klx is no comparison to a scooter lmao

Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New seat.

Scooters are great!

Last edited by kgwld1; 08-13-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: [Noob]Why supermoto rim?