$300 later.........now I believe

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default $300 later.........now I believe

I have to say I was skeptical at best when I read on this forum "opening up the bike" and rejetting would make it feel like a completely different bike. I mean I knew there would be differences, but I believed they would be very subtle Well......

FMF Power Core 4
Dyna Jet #2152
UNI air filter and opened up the air box

I can honestly say you were right........I was wrong. It does feel like a different bike. Actually, I lied..........I also bought a kouba screw and an edge tail light kit, so it was more like $400

Now I'm gonna start reading about suspension and tires.

Anyone running D606's front and back? What sizes are you running?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Give it about a week and you'll want more again.. You gain mostly sound with those mods, a little bit of HP, but nothing compared to the $500 big bore.

Have fun.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
I have to say I was skeptical at best when I read on this forum "opening up the bike" and rejetting would make it feel like a completely different bike. I mean I knew there would be differences, but I believed they would be very subtle Well......

FMF Power Core 4
Dyna Jet #2152
UNI air filter and opened up the air box

I can honestly say you were right........I was wrong. It does feel like a different bike. Actually, I lied..........I also bought a kouba screw and an edge tail light kit, so it was more like $400

Now I'm gonna start reading about suspension and tires.

Anyone running D606's front and back? What sizes are you running?
Could have gotten the same results for $100...

I did my upgrades in stages; air intake and jetting first, then a couple weeks later I added a slip-on pipe. Turns out there was a HUGE difference after doing the air/jetting, but absolutely NO noticeable difference after adding the pipe.

I have read very good reports regarding the 606's for long life and good performance off-road by folks who put thousands of miles of single-track and dirt/gravel roads on their bikes. I will definitely go with them when my stock tires wear down enough to need replacing.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new power mods. For a lot of people myself included the exhaust and jetting along with removing the air box lid and throwing on different sprockets is all we ever want. Since doing the mods I have been very happy and have never wanted more power, the bike even with my fat butt on it is awesome! I'm not dissing anyone that installs the large bore kits, that's cool, I support that 100%. It's all good. Power is a relative term that means different things to different folks. It's whatever a person is happy with. Besides if I want more power I'll just jump on the ST 1300.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the big bore, that's the only REAL difference that i have felt in my bike.

The 606's are the best rear DS in my opinion. I ran through a couple of them before going to more aggressive non DOT tires.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
+1 on the big bore, that's the only REAL difference that i have felt in my bike.

The 606's are the best rear DS in my opinion. I ran through a couple of them before going to more aggressive non DOT tires.
Oh yeah +1 on the 606, its my fav tire.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

My loud *** HMF slip on felt like it made the bike faster, but mostly just made it sound faster I'm sure. And it seems even louder now with the 351 kit. I gotta get rid of the HMF.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers

I did my upgrades in stages; air intake and jetting first, then a couple weeks later I added a slip-on pipe. Turns out there was a HUGE difference after doing the air/jetting, but absolutely NO noticeable difference after adding the pipe.

I have read very good reports regarding the 606's for long life and good performance off-road by folks who put thousands of miles of single-track and dirt/gravel roads on their bikes. I will definitely go with them when my stock tires wear down enough to need replacing.
I heard this before, or maybe I heard it from you before. Either way I'm probably gonna take your advice and skip the slip on and see what i get.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 606, but now that desert season is over I'm looking at lots of street only time. Been reading good things about the IRC GP1 tire. Anyone use one?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

In my findings, and on my terrain, I have found that the 606's are good on the rear, but the front tires are horrible and scary.

Although OK on the rear, way too expensive.

I almost exclusively get Kenda TMII's now. Front and back for $100 shipped, can't beat it. And they hook up.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers

I did the same thing, open air box and re-jetted, noticeable difference. I then added a FMF PowerCore4 and up sized the main jet and I noticed a big difference. The Low end torque was increased by a lot. Maybe you don’t have the bike jetted properly for the pipe? What pipe do you have?
Tires, I like my Michelin AC10’s

Quick Reply: $300 later.........now I believe