Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

Brute force 750i Miss / Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Default Brute force 750i Miss / Hesitation

This is a new, less than 50 miles, ATV and since I brought it home it has had an ocasional miss or hesitation on acceleration. This is a very cold blooded machine and takes a long time to warm up even when in the 60's. I have replaced the plugs and no change was noticed. It happens when riding slow and then trying to speed up a bit. It starts to go then almost stalls then takes off. sometimes there is a slight pop or backfire but not often. It does not make a difference if it has been running foe an hour or 10 min This same thing happens. then some days it never misses at all. I use 92 octane fuel and the air filter / fuel filters are clean.

ANY IDEAS???

Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Brute force 750i Miss / Hesitation

man, on a brand new one, right?? I don't know...if it was a older model, I would guess dirt in Carbs..you might check all your connections also...on battery, cdi box, etc....Being new, wouldn't it be under some kind of warranty??

Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 AM

sounds to me like u need a break-in adjustment... adjustin the carb needles and valves... my buddy had to do that on his honda 400ex after he broke in his motor. take it into a kawi dealer, if you have less than 50 miles on it im sure its still under warrenty if ya bought it new from a dealer

Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 AM

First you need to figure out if it is too lean hesitation or too rich bogging by reading plugs.
If too lean, you would need to install fatter jet needle on the front carb per Kawi's TSB.
If too rich, you probably have a sticking choke plunger at the carb side or check the choke cable routing.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:54 PM

I just got my 750i and had the same problem but much worse. If yours is the same as mine, the problem lies in the seconday carb circuit just off of idle. These are the needle valves in the carb that are resposible for the off idle driving up to a point where the next circuit takes over. This is a dual carb machine and both carbs need to set the same by turning the screw jets in until the bottom then turning them out the correct amount. According to my dealer, they told me the first time they should be set to 2 1/4 turns out from bottom, then they told me 2 3/4 turns out. When I brought the machine in, they found my settings to be; 1/34 on one carb, and 3 1/2 on the other. So, one card was way to lean, and the other was way too rich. They set the carbs according to the manual at 2 3/4 turns out. The machine sounds and smells a little rich at idle, but the difference ater the adjustment is beyond compare. Before the adjustment there was back-firing on slow down and poor accelleration on the lower end. Now the machine is just an animal. I purchased the factory manual....at a fair price.....$106.00 Canadian....but it's worth it to me. I would prefer to check my own adjusts and levels. Really....it's worth the money...it's a good manual with all the information. The adjustments you'd be interested in are sealed with caps that need to be jently drilled out so you can access the screws. If your machine is new like mine. Take it back and they should do this for you at no charge. And if you love this thing now.....wow....you're really going to love it after the adjustments. Good luck I hope this helps you.
ORIGINAL: mgspencer

This is a new, less than 50 miles, ATV and since I brought it home it has had an ocasional miss or hesitation on acceleration. This is a very cold blooded machine and takes a long time to warm up even when in the 60's. I have replaced the plugs and no change was noticed. It happens when riding slow and then trying to speed up a bit. It starts to go then almost stalls then takes off. sometimes there is a slight pop or backfire but not often. It does not make a difference if it has been running foe an hour or 10 min This same thing happens. then some days it never misses at all. I use 92 octane fuel and the air filter / fuel filters are clean.

ANY IDEAS???

Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 AM

If you have 2005 BF750, you may have to change the needle jet on the front carb to the same one as in the rear carb. This is for intake popping/hesitation at slow speed (<10 mph) problem.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 PM

Does anyone else have difficult steering on their 06 Brute 750i. It seems my steering is very difficult compared to other makes and models of machine, Suzuki 700 King, Brute 650 fixed rear axel, etc. Is there a fix for this problem?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:57 PM

You should have started a new thread for your new problem.
But anyway, there is a way to lighten up your heavy steering feeling. Kawi changed the A-Arm geometry on 2007 model. I think it is the upper A-arm. Compare the part numbers and get 2007 parts.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Sorry about the not starting a new string, I'm a little new at this game. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.