Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

Thomas the Tank (Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Default Thomas the Tank (Engine)

Hello All. I have recently become a Mule owner (12/30) and after finding this forum (I guess there's a forum for just about everything-who knew?), I was hoping to share my new friend with you.

After 25 years of (hard) use, our John Deere AMT 600 (Gator) was ready to be retired. The end came when the brakes went out and I ran into a tree. Luckily I didn't get hurt (well maybe my pride) and it still runs but we decided it was more cost effective to replace it than to fix it right now. It has served us well (like they say-"Nothing runs like a Deere"), and we may fix it down the road, but we heat mostly with wood and we needed something reliable to haul it down from the back. Especially if the winter gets bad like they are predicting.

After looking around, we decide on a Kawasaki Mule. We were all set to buy a 2016 at State 8 Motorcycles State 8 Motorcycles Online - Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprilia, Polaris, Victory,Vespa STATE 8 MOTORCYCLES, when a guy ran a stop sign and totaled my wife's car. She's alright too but we had to put the purchase on hold. By the time we got the car situation settled, the 2016 Mule was sold. They didn't have any more 2016's so they made us a good deal on a 2017 Mule SC XC.

They delivered it on Friday and the first thing I did was run up for a load of firewood. It is a beast! Plenty of power and just the right size to get around my trails. Since it's blue we have named it "Thomas the Tank (Engine)" after my son's favorite character.

Here are some pics of it's maiden run.The last one is of the last half of the hill I go up to get to the top of my property. It doesn't really do it justice in showing how steep it is especially at the top. Thomas made it up no problem.

Thanks for letting me show it off. I hope I can get out tomorrow and enjoy (I mean work) with my new toy.

Attached Thumbnails Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-1.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-2.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-4.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-5.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-back-trail-hill.jpg  

Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Hey All. Since my original post, I've added side boards to the bed and a roof. The side boards greatly increase my firewood hauling capacity. The roof is plywood and only originally meant to be temporary, but it does the job so I'm in no hurry to replace it.

I've been very happy with the Mule's performance so far. It's hauled a lot of wood thru mud and snow, uphill and down with no problems.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know the Mule's roll over/ tip over limits? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-36.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-35.jpg   Thomas the Tank (Engine)-mule-34.jpg  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Matntance Help

Hi ,
If You get a chance ,, checkout ; www.kawasaki.com , Go to Owners/ parts, Pick Up a Factory Shop Manual **** The Owners Manual Just Covers the Basic Stuff .
In Parts,, find The struts , Kaw. Makes A pair of Optional HD Springs for the Front struts
Easy to change . These Help when you Add things Up Front ( Winches, plows , Steel Roof , Front Windshield , heavy Accessories ) ..
Clean Fuel , Air filters ( Engine And Torque Convertor ) Regular Maintenance ! ( Shop Manual ??? )

A lift Kit Is NOT ADVISABLE !!!!!!!! SORRY !!!! It Puts The Drive Shafts ( Front AND Rear ) At a Severe Angle... You gain a Little Ground Clearance , BUT,,,,, Is Dose not Increase Wheel Travel , Shorten's Drive-Line Service Life !!!! Same Goes for LARGER Diameter Wheels and tires ( some aftermarket parts maintain the same DIA. As Stock )
The Larger Wheel / Tire Combo ;; Effects drive Belt / Torque Convertor
Wear , Overall Gearing ( Low Speed Pulling ) Wheel Bearing Damage,
Increased Stress / Wear and Tear Inside The Transmission / Rear Differential / Drive-Line .. ;( ;( ;(

Just saying ...
hope this helps,
later,
Mark

Old 05-21-2017, 12:26 AM

Hey thanks for the info but i wasn't looking to put a lift kit on my Mule. I may put a winch and plow on sometime down the road, so the HD springs are a good bet.

I was looking to see if Kawasaki (or anybody) has info on rollover/tipover specs/limits/angles for the stock Mules. Thanks though.