Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

20 year old 2510 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Default 20 year old 2510 won't start

Hi all,
I suddenly can't get my '95 mule 2510 to start. Since I'm new to to the forum, here's a little background on the mule: this was a fleet vehicle for a weed control company for about a decade, and has been used recreationally for the last ten years. For about eight of the last ten years, because the weed control company also uses airboats, the owner has exclusively used low lead 100 octane avgas in it. Although a little cold blooded and prone to dying when idling, it ran great until a couple weeks ago.

Now it won't start. It was running one night and the next morning it wouldn't fire at all. The owner thought it was out of fuel, and it basically was, so I refilled it with non ethanol 87. I'm leery of running avgas in engines that were meant to run unleaded, because it seems like it would make them run hot, so I convinced them to switch to non ethanol regular.

As far as diagnostics, the fuel pump is running and the lines running from the tank, thru the filter and pump, to the carb are all connected and appear to be without cracks. Compression appears to be good, but the plugs are dry, as if there's no fuel getting to the cylinders. Spark is good. I've tried spraying starting fluid into the carb and even that won't get it to fire. One thing I have noticed is the starter seems to be spinning the engine noticeably faster than when it was running regularly.

I would think that if it was a fuel delivery issue, the starting fluid would get it to fire, but like ive said the spark and compression seem to be good. The only thing I can think, if it's getting ignition and fuel (starting fluid at least) than air is the third part of the triangle that must be missing. I've tried starting it without the intake hose on the carb, so if there's a blockage it's from the carb back. I guess the next step is to take the carb off and look for blockage between it and the cylinders. Is there anything I'm missing?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I havent checked behind the carb for blockage, but it just dawned one that it could be a cam/valve issue, as if the intake valve isnt opening to let in the air fuel mixture. I read on another thread that the cam gear is plastic and prone to breaking, so thats my guess.

Last edited by Jay Lay; 10-22-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Brainstorming
Old 12-22-2017, 08:51 PM

I may have an answer for you . . Have you checked to see if you have a spark at the plug . If not . I bought a 2500 and because i didnt have a spark and it tested that i had power to the ignitor . I bought a new ignitor and two new coils . That didnt do it . So i bought a good use set of pick ups . Still no spark . Scratching my head . Studied and studied the wiring diagram , then it dawned on me . I was checking the power to the igniter from the ground on the battery and it showed ok . But after studying the schematic i noticed that the ground came from the battery to the ignitor , walla . Checked out the ground wire from bat to ignitor and it was corroded . Lol . Runs like a top now . Hopefully this is it .

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 PM

Duhh john didnt see where you was gettin fire . But remember this . Had me scratchin my head for a while