Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

95 900zxi no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Default 95 900zxi no power

I'm brand new to the jetski world, just traded an old car for a 95 900 zxi
starts and runs good, smokes a bit, but not the current issue.

When i get it in the water and hit the gas, it only does like 2-5 mph. barley moves. almost sounds like it's boughing down but it rev's nicely. held it at about 6000 rpm for a bit and still nothing. just putted along. Don't know much about jetskis but i am a certified auto mechanic and this thing is stumping me. the rear nozzle is not conected for the trim, would that make it do this? there are some nicks on the impeller when looking in the rear nozzle, but not cracked or broken. some scoring on the the wall around it, nothing too bad. there is visable clearance between the housing and the impeller, not sure if this is normal?

what else can i check?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Spritzin do you mix your gas and oil? Is it a 2 stroke engine? Or you put oil in an individual container?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

6000 rpm and no thrust is a problem. Is the pump really connected to the engine? Check the coupler at the rear of the engine. If the driveshaft is spinning, then is the pump slipping? The driveshaft has a spline connection at the pump impeller itself. Completely stripped splines are NOT a common problem though. Mostly this problem is pump cavitation. The pump spins but doesn't pump water. Usual problem is weeds, plastic bags, other debris stuck in the intake grate. Second possibility is bad impeller. Check leading edges. Look up into the intake grate from below (ski on the trailer or lift). Knicked or jagged leading edges are a problem. The leading edges must be in very good shape to work. Impeller to pump shell clearance can affect power, but not to the extent you describe. One last possibility is air leaks into the pump. The pump body or mounting shoe must be sealed to the hull or tunnel, particularly at the entrance edges. Look for silicone sealant at the mating surfaces. If it can suck air instead of water, you will get cavitaion.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 PM

it is a 2 stroke engine, seperate oil container
the pump is conected to engine, i can turn the impeller and it turns the engine over. i could feel it hit a compression stroke. the prop does have some nicks in it, can i remove and clean them up with a file? or would that ruin it further? i've tried in the water twice, the first time there were definatly no weads or antyhing stuck in there or in the water, the second time i did have some weeds on it after takeing it out, but i don't belive this to be the problem. i'll look for silicone around the pump body, if there was a air leak into the hull wouldn't it leak water in then? i have no water issues in the body. i'll take a look though.